Can't see a custom field in a shared screen across all projects.

Jill Vieregge December 23, 2021

I have custom field I'll call ABC.

Its in a Screen/Screen Scheme shared by 8 projects.

4 projects can see this field, 4 cannot.

I have the same screen for the same issue type (epics) across all operations.

Any ideas what's going wrong?

thx

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Rodney Nissen
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 23, 2021

So It's likely either a field configuration issue or a field context issue.

For field configuration, go to a given project, then go the admin section, Then click "Fields" on the left toolbar.  Once on the Fields screen, click the Pencil to edit the Field Configuration.
Screenshot 2021-12-23 172159.png

Now we find our field in question, and make sure this setting says "hide." If it says "Show", that field is hidden for this project, and that is the problem.  Click "Show" to make it appear

Screenshot 2021-12-23 172258.png

If it is configured to be shown here in the project, then our problem is with the context of the field.  Look to the leftside toolbar from the Field Configuration Screen, and click "Custom Fields." From here, you will find your field in quesiton.

Screenshot 2021-12-23 172533.png

Once on Custom Fields, find your field, then click the ellipses, and click "Contexts and Default Value"

Screenshot 2021-12-23 172738.png

Here we can see what projects are configured for the Field.  If it says something like my screenshot, where it is "Global (all issues)", we are good and our problem is more of a mystery.  However, if it's says something different, we need to modify the context by clicking "Edit Configuration"

Screenshot 2021-12-23 172947.png

Now we can modify which Projects and issue types the Field is available for.  Be sure the Projects/Issuetype in the chosen context includes all 8 of your projects, and have the Epic Issue type.  Note: You can have more than one context, so it could be that the four that have it available have it under a specific Context, in which case just add the other four projects to that context.

Screenshot 2021-12-23 173148.png

Hope this Helps!
Rodney

Jill Vieregge December 31, 2021

Yes it was a field context; one of the other Jira admins changed it from global to a handful of projects. Thanks

Suggest an answer