Can't login to Jira Capture / Zephyr Capture

Sheri Atwood May 6, 2019

I have been going back and forth with Zephyr Capture Support for the past 3 WEEKS and still have zero resolution to my issue so hoping to reach out here to see if ANYONE knows of a solution. 

You can see what happens when I (or anyone on my team) tries to login to Jira Capture. This has been working perfectly fine for 7 years and all of a sudden no one on my team can login and we all get the same errors. 

Video of issue: http://developer.supportpay.com/jira-capture-error.mp4

I have gone back and forth with the Zephyr support team with little to ZERO response and my team and I are at the point of utter frustration. 

Yes, I have already cleared the cache, reloaded the browser, uninstalled the extension and reinstalled and still nothing.

I am using Chrome on Windows 10 Version 74.0.3729.131 (Official Build) (64-bit)

I have tried to install the plugin in Firefox but since I am using the developer version of Firefox the extension will not install.

Does anyone have any ideas / solutions?

Thanks!

Some of the background:

The issue is that the https://prod-capture.zephyr4jiracloud.com/capture/rest/authenticate/be the REST API is not authenticating and the reason is because response not parsable to JSON.

The URL https://prod-capture.zephyr4jiracloud.com/capture/rest/authenticate/be (https://prod-capture.zephyr4jiracloud.com/capture/rest/authenticate/be) responded with a status code of 401

Some of the details in the chrome console error log:

13:14:16.872 prod-capture.zephyr4jiracloud.com/capture/rest/authenticate/be:1 Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 401 (Unauthorized)

13:14:16.872 prod-capture.zephyr4jiracloud.com/capture/rest/authenticate/be:1 Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 401 (Unauthorized)

13:14:21.572 prod-capture.zephyr4jiracloud.com/capture/rest/authenticate/be:1 Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 401 (Unauthorized)

13:14:40.451 prod-capture.zephyr4jiracloud.com/capture/license:1 Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 401 (Unauthorized)

And the following messages in the console

13:14:06.970 capture-sidebar.js:1519 Check whether its server or cloud.

13:14:06.970 capture-sidebar.js:1664 response not parsable to JSON

13:14:16.593 capture-sidebar.js:1664 response not parsable to JSON

9 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Brian Walker May 6, 2019

Hi Sheri,

Yaa sometimes getting support on time is one of the major concern. As per the above video, it seems like it's a problem of authentication. You are using jira cloud so kindly generate the API token by referring below step and use the token as a password.

Step 1. Log into https://id.atlassian.com and go to Manage your account > Security > API token.
Step 2. Click on the Create API token button to generate the API token.
Step 3. Copy the API token.
Step 4. Paste the API token in password field.

The apps which I am using has amazing detailed documentation and quick support which really feels me happy and proud user.

Brian.

Sheri Atwood May 7, 2019

That worked! But question, does this mean I have to use the API key / token EVERY time I login to Capture?

The product tends to timeout / logout without any notification - after you have already created a bug. Then you lose all your work and have to log back in.

Will I be able to use my password the next time?

Like # people like this
Brian Walker May 8, 2019

Hey Sheri,

Now, I am not sure about Zephyr Capture for Jira as I was moved to another app called QMetry for Jira which has excellent Exploratory Testing feature where you can log the defect or record a session and convert it as a test case. Here, you will get a chance to store your username and password for login.

Brian.

paul gallagher July 16, 2019

I have the same issue, foolowing your advise I create the api token which allowed allowed me to login but now I get:

The server returned the following errors:

• Field 'summary' cannot be set. It is not on the appropriate screen, or unknown.
  • Field 'description' cannot be set. It is not on the appropriate screen, or unknown.
  • Field 'priority' cannot be set. It is not on the appropriate screen, or unknown.

any ideas how i fix this?

paul gallagher July 16, 2019

I had no issues using Jira Capture prior to a week ago logging in with my normal user and password

0 votes
abbas July 20, 2021

hey guys 
i have an question 
i installed zephyr capture extension in google chrome.
do i have to do in Jira(cloud) like as some set configuration or install app?

Because i receive this error when i login :

"It looks like Capture for JIRA has run into an unexpected fatal error. You will need to restart Capture for JIRA which may fix this issue.

If this problem persists, try the "Clear server settings" button below.

Report problem with Zephyr (remember to include the support information below).
Hide information…"

thanks

0 votes
Perry Preston August 31, 2020

is there a better app? this is painful.

0 votes
Alain Nisam April 23, 2020

Having the same issue but it's worse. I'm using the token to login and sometimes it works. However, these two api calls time out all the time:

curl 'https://prod-capture.zephyr4jiracloud.com/capture/templates/user?offset=0&limit=20&mine=true' \
-H 'Connection: keep-alive' \
-H 'Pragma: no-cache' \
-H 'Cache-Control: no-cache' \
-H 'Accept: application/json, text/javascript, */*; q=0.01' \
-H 'accessKey: xxx' \
-H 'User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10_15_4) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/81.0.4044.113 Safari/537.36' \
-H 'Sec-Fetch-Site: none' \
-H 'Sec-Fetch-Mode: cors' \
-H 'Sec-Fetch-Dest: empty' \
-H 'Accept-Language: en-US,en;q=0.9' \
--compressed

curl 'https://prod-capture.zephyr4jiracloud.com/capture/templates/favourites?offset=0&limit=1000000&mine=true' \
-H 'Connection: keep-alive' \
-H 'Pragma: no-cache' \
-H 'Cache-Control: no-cache' \
-H 'Accept: application/json, text/javascript, */*; q=0.01' \
-H 'accessKey: xxx' \
-H 'User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10_15_4) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/81.0.4044.113 Safari/537.36' \
-H 'Sec-Fetch-Site: none' \
-H 'Sec-Fetch-Mode: cors' \
-H 'Sec-Fetch-Dest: empty' \
-H 'Accept-Language: en-US,en;q=0.9' \
--compressed

Any idea why??

0 votes
Adil April 16, 2020

seriousely, cant you just add this informations in login interface, this would avoid spending time trying to undestand why we cant log, using the right credentials !!!

edit:

oups: i just read all comment! i will move to another tools. By the way, for those who still want to use this tools, the password is currently a token generated in your admin area.

Here is the direct link : https://id.atlassian.com/manage/api-tokens

0 votes
kcornett January 11, 2020

Same here and I've tried the whole token thing a few times - I'm an IT director and manage our QA dept and use Jira and confluence exclusively.    Jira capture worked beautifully for so many years but for about the last 12 months myself and my user group can't get logged in so I'm going to remove it from our platform (why pay for something that doesn't work) and look for other options....  The atlassian folks needs to step it up on this - I doubt I'll look at any of their other products offerings as a result.

Dion Vansevenant January 16, 2020

Good to know it's not me. I just re-activated Capture to try doing real work, create the API token as suggested, logged in once, connected to a test session, and then....pffft...booted out. I am getting "Could not get a response from the JIRA server - the server or your network connection may be offline."

After reading some of these comments, I think I will look for another tool.

0 votes
Laura Park August 5, 2019

Hi @Jim Schalm , 

I am also having the same issue. Please let us know if/when they contact you back . Thanks!

0 votes
Jim Schalm July 30, 2019

Got this answer from Capture

Hi Jim,

We have already working with atlassian to get this issue to resolve as atlassian has confirmed that the issue is because of some recent changes from their side.

I will be keeping this case in on hold status and keep you posted once we get any updates from them.

Regards,
Bibek

Fresh Life Floral July 31, 2019

I have the same problem for a week

0 votes
Jim Schalm July 30, 2019

I have the same issue :((

Field 'summary' cannot be set.  etc...

TIP

In Addition, I have saved my APi key on dekstop, so I can copy and enter the same key after you cleared the cache.

Do not like this API key at all....
But how can I log in NOt using it. Doesn't work anymore

Suggest an answer