Can't find the Announcement Banner in the New Jira Experience - where is it now?

John Wilson September 15, 2017

We use the Jira Announcement Banner to alert our users of changes, upcoming outages, and other things. In the previous user experience, we were able to manage the announcement banner from JIRA Administration > System > User Interface > Announcement Banner. In the "new Jira experience" the corresponding configuration area – Home > Settings > System > User Interface does NOT have an Announcement Banner link. We can't find it anywhere else.

Also, for everyone in our "old" JIRA experience, there's a banner displayed right now. I'm using the "new" Jira experience and the banner is NOT displayed. So maybe there isn't a banner at all in the new experience? If that's true, is there another method for alerting our users when necessary?

Thanks,

John Wilson, Arizona State University

3 answers

1 vote
John Wilson September 18, 2017

As I replied to Mizan above, I submitted a support ticket with Atlassian, and they replied today saying that they reproduced the problem and created a bug report to address it:

Annoucement Banner option missing in the New JIRA Experience

angellmedici November 11, 2017

They've closed it was "Won't Fix".  :(

0 votes
Mizan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 17, 2017

Hi John,

What is the "new jira experience" ? is it a new instance or a add-on which has changed the UI of JIRA ?

AFAIK, the announcement banner is a part of JIRA and has not been removed yet.

It may be possible that this new UI/experience which you are using is provided by an add-on and has restricted modifications to the announcement banner.

The new Jira experience is an updated UI being gradually rolled out to all Cloud users. They're still testing and modifying it based on user feedback. I put in a support ticket about this, and they entered a bug report to fix the problem. See:

Annoucement Banner option missing in the New JIRA Experience

0 votes
Suhas P
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 16, 2017

I have not used new JIRA user interface but have you tried keyboard shortcut gg which opens admin search where you can search all type of administrative sections. Press gg and type Banner, it will suggest the section if it is avaibale.

John Wilson September 16, 2017

Thanks for the suggestion, Suhas. I tried gg, got to "Find Actions" and typed in "banner". Result: "No Matches". Maybe they disabled the banner in the new Jira experience???

John Wilson September 16, 2017

Tried searching for "announcement" - same empty result.

Suhas P
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 18, 2017

What version of JIRA are you using?

The current Cloud version. This is a UI update being rolled out gradually to Cloud instances. See my "solution" below.

Suggest an answer