Can't find global permissions

Jeremiah Fischer March 22, 2019

A lot of the Jira documentation still seems to be pointed at the old admin interface. I've been able to decipher some of it to fit the new interface. However, global permissions escapes me. Where did this get moved to?

I have been referring to this document: https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver073/managing-global-permissions-861253290.html#ManagingGlobalPermissions-Grantingglobalpermissions

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 22, 2019

With Atlassian nowadays, it is well worth looking at the header of the documentation. 

The url you've given for the doc you are reading tells us that you are reading docs for Jira 7.3 (which also means Server, and not Cloud).  This is a very old version, and it's not for Cloud, so it's no surprise it's not kept up!

If you look towards the top right, in the header, there are buttons to select the version of Jira Server or switch to the Cloud docs.  It does not feel quite as intuitive as it should, but you do need to check before reading docs for a version you're not using.

Jeremiah Fischer March 25, 2019

Thank you, this was very helpful.

0 votes
Andrea Poston February 10, 2020

What do you do if the admin is no longer with the company? How do you get permission to access the global permissions?

0 votes
Victor Mutambuki [Mumo Systems]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 22, 2019

Jeremiah,

Go the Cog wheel --> Systems --> Under Security, you'll find Global Permissions. (for server)

You must be an admin to access this area.

Victor

Jeremiah Fischer March 25, 2019

Those are the same instructions in the doc. So, not really helpful.

Suggest an answer