Can't delete issue even as site admin

Riley Reese February 21, 2019

I setup this account and am the site admin. I have full access to everything but still can't delete this issue.

I've gone through all the site admin settings and have updated them to all users but still can't delete this issue.

Any way to solve this?

Screen Shot 2019-02-21 at 11.08.04 AM.png

4 answers

1 accepted

9 votes
Answer accepted
Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 21, 2019

Hello,

If you are a Jira admin, it does not mean that you can delete any issue in Jira. You need to have the Delete Issues permission in the project permission scheme either directly or via a group or a role.

Thanks. I figured it out. I changed it under Global settings but I had to go to project settings to add users. 

Teja Bhaghavathi August 2, 2022

HI @Alexy Matveev,

I am a jira admin and I have created a project. I am project lead for that. I am having delete issue permission also.MicrosoftTeams-image (8).pngMicrosoftTeams-image (7).png

Although I am not able to delete issues with in that project. 

I have added my self as a administrator ,then I have deleted issues.
How to delete screen schemes ? I am not able to find delete option for "Screen scheme"?

First you need to delete "Issue type screen scheme" then you can delete screen scheme

Like Jassi Amin likes this
1 vote
ravina_tagline April 24, 2022

Go to Setting(placed right side on the top header)>> User management>>choose user and click on three dot>>click on add user to group>>Add group name - Jira-access-administrator-project name>>Now try to delete the tickets.

1 vote
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 21, 2019

Do not delete issues. When you delete it is GONE. Hardly a week goes by without someone wanting to restore an issue. Deleting issues will come back and bite you when it is the most inconvenient. I suggest closing with a resolution value of Deleted anything you want to delete. I implement a special transition only the project lead can execute and it requires filling in a reason field from a select list (such as entered in error, OBE, Duplicate, Other) and explanation text.

Deleting issues destroys historical data. Missing issue numbers will eventually cause a question about what it was and why was it deleted even if it was done properly. Missing data always brings in the question of people hiding something that may have looked bad.

The only viable way to restore an issue is to create a new instance of JIRA and restore a backup that has the issues. Then export them to a csv file and import them to your production instance. You will lose the history.

Good advice! I didn't realize how hard it was to bring back in deleted issues. Thanks for the tip.

Murat Sahan November 7, 2022

Sorry but there are cases when an issue NEEDS to be deleted for various reasons. As an administrator the request ends up with me but in Jira Cloud it seems more difficult to set it globaly? 

Like slithytove2 likes this
0 votes
Dominik Oppelt April 17, 2020

Hi there,

I had the same issue and I changed everything to get all rights to delete issues. Still when I click on the three points only two options occur. 

image.png

Can anybody help me?

Thanks

OLIVIER ALIBERT January 31, 2023

I had the same, despite being Org Admin and I solved the problem by going into the project settings (lower left) and adding myself in "people" as administrator (which seems weird considering that I'm org admin) - but it solved the problem anyway🚀🚀🚀

Best regards

Like # people like this
Jose Sanchez March 14, 2023

Thanks! 
This was the solution for me as well. Indeed is very weird you add yourself to the project administration while being and Org. Admin. 

Frank McPolin
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
December 20, 2023

Solved it for me too, which is weird not only coz Im the org admin but I also created the project!

I suspect it's something to do with not setting myself as the default person when creating the Company Managed project, never had this issue with Team Managed projects.

Suggest an answer