Can't create issue in epic. Error message falsely says "Description required"

Andrea Kunkel May 16, 2022

I'm trying to create a new issue in an epic but I get an error message saying:

"We couldn't create the child issue
Description required"

jira create issue error.png

I checked the settings and the field Description is NOT set to required so there should not be an error.

What's even more confusing is that I don't get an error in another project. There I can just create a new issue without a description.

Any ideas would else I could try?
As mentioned above I checked the Field Configuration and even tried to make it Required and change it back to Optional which didn't solve it.

Btw, I also realised that on the standard Create issue Screen the Description doesn't show as required (no *) but when I want to create it the same error shows (Description required).

-

I know a related bug has already been raised but I don't think that's the issue here because there is no required field in my configuration.
https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-75648

2 answers

0 votes
Andrea Kunkel May 19, 2022

I found the answer:

We have a workflow in this project where a validator was set that didn't let you create an issue without a description.

I removed this validator and now it's working.

Where did I find this:
Project settings -> Workflows -> Edit -> Diagram -> Create -> Validators

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 17, 2022

Can you be entirely sure that the "create issue in Epic" is leading to creating an issue of the same type in the same project as the one you have tested the plain create for?

Andrea Kunkel May 18, 2022

I already found the solution yesterday, I think there was a workflow set up somewhere that required the description to not be empty. I don't really remember where that was as the Jira settings are very confusing with all these different schemes.

I tried to delete this question last night but couldn't find it anywhere. Is there a way to close this without accepting your answer?

Like # people like this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 19, 2022

We don't delete questions here when answered - the Community acts as a knowledge-base in some ways (if you were to look at my profile, you'd see I've answered a few more questions than I have asked over the years - 16 I think.  It's because I've been able to find the answers here on questions other people have asked, and so I've not needed to ask again!)

My answer is not the right one for you, but you've found the right one.  The best way to "close" this question is for

1. You to post your solution as an answer

2. I can accept the answer

You could accept your own answer, but you don't get kudos/points for that.  You do if I accept it for you!

We do remove questions if posters really want us to, so let me know if that is the case, but I'd like to keep your answer here, marked right, so other people can learn from you.

Like Monique vdB likes this
Andrea Kunkel May 19, 2022

Thanks a lot for explaining.
I couldn't find the question after I submitted it so I thought it might not have been published yet and I could delete it before it showed. No need to delete it now that it has some comments/reactions.

I added a new answer with the solution. Feel free to accept it for me.

cal_h January 29, 2023

@Nic Brough -Adaptavist-  - I've run into the same scenario where I have Workflow Validators requiring the user to input values into specific fields per our requirements. The Validators work as expected when creating issues from the primary "Create" button in the top nav bar and from the backlog screen because those "create" actions display the appropriate "create" Screen for those issues types. Thus, the user can successfully create issues via those locations.

However, users cannot create issues from the Epic page itself by either clicking the "Create Child Issue" button in the opsbar or by clicking the "+" icon in the Child Ticket list near the bottom of the Epic page. When users attempt to do this, they continually see the warning icon in the Child Issue list row, with the warning label displaying the Validator error message regarding the required fields.

We anticipated the "Create" experience would mimic that of the creation flow on the Backlog page but are finding that this is not the case.

Is there a setting or create-transition property that enables Jira to prompt the user with the appropriate creation Screen when they attempt to create a child issue on an Epic page directly?

Any guidance or experience you have to share would be immensely helpful. Thanks in advance!

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 1, 2023

Yes, that's because the validator happens after the questions are asked of the user, there's no way a screen might know what your validators might be doing.

There's nothing you can do about this ordering, the only "fix" is a mandatory description or not running your validators.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events