Can't access new project with same name as deleted project

Anthony Litton
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
April 16, 2019

I created a new Next Gen project, but after a few minutes it became clear that Next Gen lacks all essential features and is not even remotely ready to actually be used by anybody for anything. I deleted the project and created a new Classic project using the same name and key (these are the correct name and key for the project, and I don't want to use a lesser variation if I don't have to). But now I am in a strange situation.

• The project appears in the project list, but when I click on it the page gets stuck loading forever.
  • I can go to the project settings from the list and access them just fine.
  • If I manually go to the /projects/[key] URL, I get "This project isn't available. It may have been deleted or your permissions may have changed."

So, what is going on? If I can't reuse the key, tell me when I create the project. If the project is unavailable, then why is it on the project list? And why can I edit the project settings but not access the project? Does it exist or not? I have no use for Schrodinger's project.

I tried waiting an hour or so after deleting before creating the new project to see if it just takes time to propagate, but no dice. I tried accessing from a different PC to see if it was a cache issue. No luck.

Any thoughts?

3 answers

2 votes
Deleted user June 9, 2020

@Anthony Litton Did you ever find an answer? I have the same problem.

Andrei Nicolau
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
July 22, 2020

I had the same problem today and found out that when you normally delete a project you actually move it to trash. But there didn't seem to be an easy way to find the trashed projects. Until you find the settings cog in the top right corner, next to you name.

After you move a project to trash you can permanently delete it by going to Setting -> Projects -> Trash

From there you have the option to permanently delete a project thus reusing its name and/or key. 

Like # people like this
1 vote
David Mauas
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
October 26, 2020

Word. For. Word.

Exactly the same thing: tried next-gen, saw it's absolute rubbish (no effort estimations... some forum answers about it being "in the roadmap"... since 2018!)... deleted, re-created.

Unable to access the project.

So. Tired. Of This same tired old Bug... since 2015 it is the same.

1 vote
Taranjeet Singh
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 16, 2019

@Anthony Litton See this if it helps: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Core-questions/Did-Atlassian-change-the-process-for-reusing-a-Project-Key-in/qaq-p/814425

If not, please raise a support request with Atlassian Support (https://support.atlassian.com/contact/#/)  for your issue, providing all the details.

Hope it helps !

Anthony Litton
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
April 17, 2019

I had come across that in my searches, but unfortunately it suggests that what I did should have worked!

I've reached out to support and I'll report back.

Thank you!

Suggest an answer