Can't Delete Broken Issue Type

Geoff Wilson
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 14, 2015

As I have created a lot of custom Issue Types, I wanted to delete the default Bug, Improvement, etc issue types.  I have successfully deleted "New Feature" for example, however Bug and Improvement seem to have gotten broken in the database as if I try to edit them or delete them, I get an error back saying that they do not exist. 

If I try to delete the Improvement issue type, I get the following back with only a Cancel option, no other option:

Delete Issue Type: {0}

Confirm that you want to delete this issue type, and specify what is to be done with the issues currently attached to it.

Note: This issue type will be removed from all field configuration, issue type screen and workflow schemes.

There are currently matching issues, that must be changed to another issue type.

Notice the title "Delete Issue Type: { 0 }".  Similarly, if try to edit that Issue Type, JIRA returns the following error message: "Issue type to update does not exist."

Bug and Improvement are not shown in the Issue Type Schemes window for the Default ITS, if you were curious about whether they existed on some projects.

6 answers

1 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
Geoff Wilson
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 12, 2015

Here's your fix guys after getting help from support,

Benito Picarelli [Atlassian]

01/Oct/15 8:29PM

Hi Geoff,

I just found out that this is a known bug: JRA-43097

In order to fix it, please do the following:

1. Go to Administration > Issues > Issue Type Schemes
  2. Create a new Issue Type Scheme
  3. Add the buggy issue types to it
  4. Create a test project and go to Project Administration > Issue Types > Actions > Use a different Scheme and associate this newly made Issue Type Scheme.
  5. Return to the Issue Type page and remove the Issue Types.

Please let me know how it goes!

Cheers,
Benito Picarelli
Daniele Gagliardi July 30, 2018

Hi had the same issue with a Jira 6.4.13, and this fix solved the issue.Thanks

mikutech February 18, 2021

This didn't work with Jira version v8.4.1

1 vote
ms32035 September 16, 2015

We're experiencing exactly the same problem

0 votes
vitaliy zapolskyy
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 16, 2016

JIRA 6.4.10. didn't help sad

0 votes
Andreas Hartmann January 20, 2016

@Benito : Worked fine for me. My problems concerning issue types have obviously disappeared. Cheers !

0 votes
foo Lizenzaccount October 12, 2015

Same here

0 votes
rachel September 25, 2015

I'm seeing the same thing.

Suggest an answer