Can't Delete Broken Issue Type

As I have created a lot of custom Issue Types, I wanted to delete the default Bug, Improvement, etc issue types.  I have successfully deleted "New Feature" for example, however Bug and Improvement seem to have gotten broken in the database as if I try to edit them or delete them, I get an error back saying that they do not exist. 

If I try to delete the Improvement issue type, I get the following back with only a Cancel option, no other option:

Delete Issue Type: {0}

Confirm that you want to delete this issue type, and specify what is to be done with the issues currently attached to it.

Note: This issue type will be removed from all field configuration, issue type screen and workflow schemes.

There are currently matching issues, that must be changed to another issue type.

Notice the title "Delete Issue Type: { 0 }".  Similarly, if try to edit that Issue Type, JIRA returns the following error message: "Issue type to update does not exist."

Bug and Improvement are not shown in the Issue Type Schemes window for the Default ITS, if you were curious about whether they existed on some projects.

6 answers

1 accepted

Here's your fix guys after getting help from support,

Benito Picarelli [Atlassian]

01/Oct/15 8:29PM

Hi Geoff,

I just found out that this is a known bug: JRA-43097

In order to fix it, please do the following:

1. Go to Administration > Issues > Issue Type Schemes
  2. Create a new Issue Type Scheme
  3. Add the buggy issue types to it
  4. Create a test project and go to Project Administration > Issue Types > Actions > Use a different Scheme and associate this newly made Issue Type Scheme.
  5. Return to the Issue Type page and remove the Issue Types.

Please let me know how it goes!

Cheers,
Benito Picarelli

We're experiencing exactly the same problem

I'm seeing the same thing.

@Benito : Worked fine for me. My problems concerning issue types have obviously disappeared. Cheers !

JIRA 6.4.10. didn't help sad

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Sarah Schuster
Posted Jan 29, 2018 in Jira

What are common themes you've seen across successful & failed Jira Software implementations?

Hey everyone! My name is Sarah Schuster, and I'm a Customer Success Manager in Atlassian specializing in Jira Software Cloud. Over the next few weeks I will be posting discussion topics (8 total) to ...

3,334 views 14 20
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot