Can subtasks move automatically with the parent

dvayanu November 5, 2012

Hello,

we have an issue with kanban boards. We have tasks which represents more or less complex stores. Some of the columns of the board represent developers activity (ready for dev, dev in progress, ready for qa). As soon as developer starts to work on a story he creates some subtasks, example:

Story: add field xyz to dialog foo

subtasks: write sql script, implement service, implement html dialog...

The subtasks make perfect sense in the development columns, but once the stories are ready for QA the task do not make sense enymore.

So for the after development columns like QA -> Ready for Release -> Released we would like to move the parent tasks (stories) only, and were hoping that the subtasks would move atomatically with the parents.

Any ideas how to achieve that?

regards

Leon

3 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Kai Gottschalk
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 27, 2013

Hi Leon,

when I was facing a quite similar problem some time ago, I went nearly mad looking for a solution and honestly have not found one which matches exact our requirements. But I've introduced a kind of workaround which works for us quite well:

We have a quite less complex workflow for the subtasks let's say open/in progress/close (but different status than the stories!).
So opening up the developer-subtask at a certain status of the user story results in an appearance of the subtask in the same column. Then - while moving through the developing process - both issuetypes can move on in parallel (all depending on matching status between Greenhopper and JIRA), until the column Ready for QA is reached. Dragging a subtask here, will close the subtask and thus magically make him disappear and you've only to take care about the story from that moment on.

I am curious if this workaround might work out for you, even if that does not answer exactly the question how to move user stories and subtasks in parallel.

Cheers
Kai

Kai Gottschalk
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 1, 2013

Hi Leon,

I was investigating a bit more on this topic and found:

http://confluence.kepler-rominfo.com/display/TR/Autotransitioning+subtasks

With the paid plugin JJUPIN it seems to be possible to satisfy your requirement.

Cheers

Kai

dvayanu April 8, 2013

Thanks Kai and greetinx to the Gänsemarkt ;-)

3 votes
Natalie Hobson
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 1, 2013

Have you checked out JIRA Workflow Toolbox? It has post functions that allow you to transition linked issues and sub-tasks through workflow. I've tried it out and it works great - you just have to make sure that the post function is attempting to put the linked issue or sub-task to a status that is currently available from it's current status (so if you need it to move through multiple statuses you'll need one post function for each transition).

Jana Schumann February 17, 2020

Hi Natalie, that post function would solve a lot of problems for us. Could you tell me, which postfunction you used to transition the subtasks? I tried to find it, but only found ones to change Assignees or things like that and not the status.
Thanks a lot for your help :)

0 votes
andreas
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 21, 2016

There's now a very easy to configure way to transition parents and sub-tasks in sync using Automation for JIRA!

You can easily modify related issues (such as parents, stories, sub-tasks, epics, linked issues and even JQL) using our related issues action and condition:

(this example transitions sub-tasks, but you could just as easily change this to transition the parent as a result of a sub-task being transitioned)

For more details see https://blog.codebarrel.io/synchronize-parent-and-sub-task-issues-with-automation-for-jira-bdcca6c9d453

Suggest an answer