Can someone help me with an automation rule?

Jason Coan April 29, 2022

I'm having trouble getting a rule to trigger.

System is a custom field, field type:  Insight Object (see configuration screenshot below).

If a use any field that's not an Insight Object, the rule functions as expected.

I have tried everything I can think of in the Value field of the condition.  The only Conditions that I think are valid are "contains any of" and "contains all of" and I've tried both with various strings in the Value field.

I've tried strings, with and without quotes, partial strings, the full string, the insight issue key, the object GUID (I'm assuming that's what it is, as shown in the screenshot below, it's the big long number that shows up in the search window after selecting one of the autofill options in the search box.

Any help is appreciated, thanks!

aa.PNG

bb.PNG

bb.PNG

4 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted

I finally figured it out.

The automation rule has to be a global rule, and needs to use the IQL condition.

0 votes
Melissa November 7, 2023

Hello!
@Jason Coan @Garrett McCreery 

We have a Check Box Field - Product Line, the user can choose any number of choices. 

Lets say the Choice are Blue, Yellow, Red and Green

I need a condition rule that will create a Task "Blue Product" when Product Line = Blue  -- This is easy

Now I need another condition rule that will create a new Task "Any Product" when Product = any of the choices including Blue

I can't figure out what is the best way to get this accomplished.  I've tried Contains any of and equals (where I added all the choices.

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 7, 2023

Hi @Melissa 

First thing, as this is an older thread you may want to create a new question, and perhaps link back to this one.  That will help so more people see it to offer ideas.  Otherwise only the people following this one will.

Back to your question...

Are you trying to create one-to-many tasks, based on the values in the field?  If so, perhaps try using an Advanced Branch and iterate over the selected values in your field.  To learn more about that technique, please look here: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Automation-articles/Branching-over-smart-values-in-Jira-Automation/ba-p/1741935

Kind regards,
Bill

0 votes

I've made a little progress.

I setup a Manual Trigger rule, and figured out that {{issue.fields.System.System Name}} returns "PAL Admin"

ccd.PNG

And I'm using the Advanced Compare Condition...

e.PNG

But the rule still doesn't trigger.

0 votes
Garrett McCreery
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 29, 2022

Hi Jason!

I am assuming that this "System" field is a select-list type? If so, the automation should recognize it as so and the "contains" or "contains any of" would apply to a drop list of selections. Here is an example:

screenshot.png 

The custom field is a Insight Object type.  Users see a dropdown list, but the dropdown list isn't available in the condition.  I have to enter something in the Value field of the condition.

Garrett McCreery
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 29, 2022

I see. Maybe you could try using Advanced compare condition like this:

screenshot.png

I had the same idea, see previous post, but no luck.

Garrett McCreery
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 29, 2022

How about using "contains regular expression" and use this as the value (include the forward slashes):

/PAL Admin/

Good idea, I didn't think about trying that...but that didn't work either.

Suggest an answer