Can one plugin hide another?

Mike Jansen November 3, 2011

I installed the HP/Palm Jira Issue Move Enhancement Plugin on my JIRA 4.4.1 development box, tested it, and was happy to see it worked well (it's only listed as Compatible with 4.3.x, but appears to function well in 4.4.1).

So, last night I installed it on our production server. Restart of JIRA went well, no unusual errors in the log, new plugin shows as loaded in the log file, in JIRA admin the plugin is loaded and all modules enabled. Cool. No. None of the new functionality (mainly of interest was the add/overwrite delete of labels on bulk change) appeared. Anywhere.

I restarted JIRA "just in case" it needed an extra restart to really understand. Still the same problem.

The main difference between my dev box and production is that I don't have all the same plugins installed on my dev box. So it got me thinking, can one plugin hide another plugin? I know this particular plugin overrides something in the bulk change page, which I'm thinking isn't a normal extension point, so perhaps another plugin is doing the same thing and it's "hiding" the HP/Palm plugin.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Mike

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 3, 2011

Check if you have any other plugin with the same atlassian plugin key. If not, see if any other plugin is extending the same action.

Thanks for your response. The plugin key isn't a problem - it's pretty specific "com.palm.jira.plugin.palm-move-plugin". Is there a quicker way to check which plugins are extending which actions besides going through (manually or via a script) all the jar files and examining the atlassian-plugin.xml?

Thanks,

Mike

OK, so I've done the following:

Using 7-zip, I extracted all of the atlassian-plugin.xml files from .jar files in:

• [install]/atlassian-jira/WEB-INF/lib
  • [home]/plugins/installed-plugins
  • [home]/plugins/.bundled-plugins

using this command:

for %I in (*.jar) do 7z e -so %I atlassian-plugin.xml >> atlassian-plugins.xml

After putting it into one file, cleaning it up, and downloading xml.exe, I ran the following query:

xml sel -t -m //atlassian-plugin -m webwork1/actions/action -v @alias -o " | " -v ../../../@name -n -m command -v @alias -o " (command) | " -v ../../../../@name -n atlassian-plugins.xml|sort

which gives me all the plugins that override actions (and their commands), sorting by the action/command alias, with output you can see here. If I'm understanding this correctly, I don't have any colliding actions. The ones I'm concerned about most are the BulkEdit actions.

So at least from what I can tell, the plugin key and the actions aren't colliding.

Tonight I'm going to clear the tomcat work directory and restart the service and see if that helps (I did this today without restart -- just for the bulk edit pages, it did regen them, but didn't seem to help, so I'm thinking clear the whole folder tonight and restart). Can't think of anything else currently :(

Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 3, 2011

If all the plugin modules are enabled and no collisions, I will start looking at the logs for any errors! Can't think of anything else.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events