Can issue security levels be applied to global issue types?

Kyle Wright August 31, 2022

Jira Cloud V2

In my integration with Jira, I'm getting all issue types using the "issuetypes" endpoint. With this result, I parse out the issue types that belong to the "com.pyxis.greenhopper.jira:gh-simplified-scrum-classic" project template key.  I refer to these issue types as "Global Issue Types". The reason I'm getting the Global Issue Types is because I want to create projects on behalf of my customers. Part of that experience is having a mapping between Jira issue statuses and statuses in my own application. Using the global issue types, I'm getting an error for most of my customers, saying that "The issue does not exist or you do not have permission to see it." I've confirmed that the issue does exist, so there are a couple possible options here.

1. There's an issue security level applied to the issue. When I parse for global issue types, I find the issues that aren't scoped to a project. Can issue security levels be applied to issue types that aren't scoped to a project?

2. The user who established the Jira connection in my application has insufficent credentials. If this is the case, what credentials are needed for a user to get a Global Issue Type through the following api docs?

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Kristján Geir Mathiesen
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 31, 2022

Hi @Kyle Wright 

As far as I know, Security Level can only be applied at Project level and therefore only to the Issue Types associated with the Project. So no, cannot be applied globally to certain Issue Types.

Regrading credentials/permissions, the permission to set Issue Security is granted in the Permission Scheme associated with the Project (another reason why Security Level is on a Project level, not on global Issue Types).

HTH,
KGM

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 31, 2022

All issue types are global, there's a single list of them.  They are selected and drawn into individual projects by the admins who configure the projects.

The behaviour of an issue (including its permissions and security) is determined at a project level.  The concept of a "global issue" makes no sense, you have to look at the issues in the context of the projects they are in.

The permissions and security are the important part of this answer, but they're quite simple  in this case - the API respects the permissions and security of the issue.

If a user can't see the issue in the UI because they don't have the project browse permission, or they are not included in the security level an individual level has, then they will not be able to see it if they are the user making the API call to view it.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events