Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Can i track progress using story points

I have estimation statistics set to story points. I want to track actual delivered points v original estimate. I know the options for Time Tracking are 'none' or 'remaining estimate / time spent', but can this be set to story points?

E.g. We are doing big effort estimate on large stories. we deliver smaller stories & tasks as actual points. I need a method to track the delta

any help greatly appreciated 

1 answer

0 votes

Time estimates are not story points, they're time.  Whilst it is absolutely fine to use both of them at the same time (estimate and burn down in Story Points, log time worked in the time-tracking is a pattern recommended by Atlassian), they are not the same thing.

You can set your sprint estimation statistic to any numeric field you want, (including time-tracking if you wish to work with time estimates), but do not confuse the sprint estimates with time estimates - they are only the same thing when do choose to use time as the sprint estimate.

So, for me, I think I'd want to look a bit more at your delta reporting.  The velocity charts for a sprint for example - they show estimate vs delivery for that sprint - is that the sort of thing you are looking for?

Suggest an answer

TAGS

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you