Can a test be selected as a pre-condition for another test?

Muharrem Bicici May 8, 2023

Hello. I wrote a login test scenario in Jira. This scenario is also the pre-condition of a different test. I want to add the login test scenario I wrote as a precondition in a different test, but I can't see the login test in the content of the pre-conditions. The login scenario is both a test and a precondition for me. So do I need to open two different records as test and precondition for the login scenario? Or can I use my login test scenario as a precondition in another test?

2 answers

2 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Stefan Salzl
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 20, 2023

Hi @Muharrem Bicici - welcome to the community,

first: a test case can´t be used as a pre-condition as this is a different issue type (technically). Furthermore the pre-condition issue is more a description.

I could imagine 2 different ways to solve/satisfy this:

1. if it has to be a precondition then you have to go for your suggested solution to create another pre-condition issue with your login

2. if it doesn´t need to be in the pre-condition section but you want to have your login test case in another test case as well I suggest to use the "call test" function in your test step section. You could then just add your login test case to the test step section of other test cases (see screenshot below).

image.png

Hope this is helpful.

Best
Stefan

Muharrem Bicici May 22, 2023

Hi Stefan. This is really helpful info for me.Thanks for your help.

Like Stefan Salzl likes this
Stefan Salzl
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 22, 2023

Hi @Muharrem Bicici 

Awesome. Thanks for the feedback.

Best
Stefan

Like Muharrem Bicici likes this
0 votes
Answer accepted
Esther Strom
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 8, 2023

Hi, @Muharrem Bicici - welcome to the Community!

Are you using an internal setup for creating your tests, or are you using a 3rd party app like X-Ray? 

Muharrem Bicici May 10, 2023

Hello.We use Xray Extension as hosting server.

Esther Strom
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 10, 2023

I don't have the answer for you, but I've added the xray tag to this post; it may get more views by people who actually know about XRay

Suggest an answer