Can a project have multiple Kanban boards based on Issue Type

mvuelba August 6, 2020

We have a project and a Kanban Board.  We created 2 workflows : 1 for task & 1 for Bug.  When I tried creating a Bug and I am on the Kanban Board,  I got the message that the bug was created but is currently not visible.

Questions:

1.  How do I make the bug I created visible in the current Kanban board - is that possible?

2. Can JIRA have multiple Kanban boards -  in our case 1 for Task & 1 for Bug since it has two different workflows?

Thanks

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 6, 2020

Hi @mvuelba 

Both options are possible. If this is Server or Cloud utilising Classic Boards, see below. If this is Cloud using Next-Gen, let us know :)

For clarity below - to access board settings:

• Server: Go to Board in the top-right and select "Configure"
  • Cloud: Go to Options (3-dots icon) in the top-right and select "Board Settings"

-------------

Question 1:

If you've created a bug and it's not showing on the board, there are two likely scenarios:

• The filter is exempting the bugs from showing or...
  • The column mapping does not include the workflow steps for bugs

To check the filter...

1. On your board, go to your Board Settings
  2. Go to General on the left-hand menu
  3. Select "Edit Filter Query"
  4. Look for limitations in the filter - such as filtering for just Tasks, or non-inclusion of Bug workflow steps
  5. If this is an issue, you'll need to be a Board Admin and the Filter Owner to fix this. If you are...
  6. Modify the search parameters and press "Search" 
  7. Once happy with the results, press "Save" next to the filter's name

If the filter is not the issue, check your column mapping...

1. In Board Settings, select Columns from the left-hand menu
  2. Ensure the statuses for Bugs are mapped to columns on the board - if they are in the right-hand grey column "Unmapped statuses", the issues won't appear on the board

-------------

Question 2:

If you did want to have a separate board per issue type, that is fine too. This is how I would do it:

1. First, limit your current board to just Tasks. You'll need to be the Board Admin and Filter Owner and then...
  2. Go to your Board Settings, then select General from the left-hand menu
  3. Select "Edit Filter Query"
  4. Limit the JQL to include just Tasks - then press Search, followed by Save
  5. Next, you'll need to create a new board. Either click on your board's name on the left-hand side panel and at the bottom of the drop-down select "Create Board" - or, go to the quick-search bar in the top-right, select "Boards" from the go-to-all sections at the bottom of the pop-up, and press "Create Board" in the top corner of the new page
  6. On the first screen, select a board type 
  7. Next, select to create the board from an existing project and click Next
  8. Give your board a name, select your project and the location the board should live (if it's one project, make it the same)
  9. Once you have your new board, follow steps 1-4 again to limit the search parameters for your new board to just Bugs
  10. Finally, ensure you go into Board Settings > Columns for both boards and limit which workflow steps are visible depending on the issue type

-------------

Additional:

If you do want both issue types on one board - there are a few other options to split them up:

1. Go to your Board Settings
  2. Select Quick Filters from the left-hand menu. These filters are buttons which sit at the top of a board. You can create two quick filters - one for issuetype = Bug and the second for issuetype = Task then filter between them to get two different views. The filters work within the parameters of your main board filter.
  3. Or, select Swimlanes. Choose to base swimlanes on Queries from the drop-down menu. Swimlanes create groups of issues horizontally across the board - like with Quick Filters, you could use issuetype = Bug and issuetype = Task to create two separate groups of issues on the same board.

For more information on board settings for Classic boards in Cloud, see this page - or for Server, see this page

-------------

Let us know if you need any further help :)

Ste

mvuelba August 6, 2020

Hi Stephen,  thank you so much for such detailed step by step processes.  I will meet with my team tomorrow and discuss this, probably they will want separate boards.  I appreciate your help.

mvuelba August 10, 2020

Hi Stephen.  the team decided on a separate board-and I followed your instructions, it all worked us for us.  Thanks again!

Suggest an answer