It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Can a JIRA issue have a done status on one board and then have an additional one in another board?

Hi,

Here is my case: I currently have an Scrum board with multiple statuses, and because of several factors, I need to split the board into two, with the possibility of having multiple done statuses in both boards and that a JIRA issue counts in the stats of both.

This is what I already have:

Development board statuses: "open" / "re-open", "In Progress", "Dev Complete", "Ready for Testing", "In QA" and "Approved DEV", being the last one the DONE status (green color) of this board.

Staging and Production board statuses: "UAT", "Approved and Ready for PROD", and "Closed". All those 3 statuses are understood by JIRA as DONE (green color).

My goal :

When a JIRA issue reaches the "Approved DEV" status on board one, it should be always counted as a completed ticket in the Sprint Report of that board.
That ticket, then, will be moved to the second board, and when it reaches the "Closed" status, it should be counted as well as a completed ticket in the Sprint Report of that second board. In other words, if a ticket has reached those two statuses in the respective boards, it should be always counted as completed in the Sprint reports of both boards.
Any ideas how to achieve this?

I have tried with custom filters, release versions, and so far I haven't been able to achieve my goal, as the ticket always disappears from the Sprint report of board 1 when I move it to any of the statuses of the second board.

Thanks in advance for your help.

1 answer

2 votes

>That ticket, then, will be moved to the second board, and when it reaches the "Closed" status, it should be counted as well as a completed ticket in the Sprint Report of that second board. In other words, if a ticket has reached those two statuses in the respective boards

There are two incorrect assumptions in there which mean you need to think differently about how to do this (you can do it, but it is essential to understand what is really happening). 

First, issues do not "move between boards".  A board is a view of a set of issues, not a container.  An issue is on a board when a board has a filter that includes it (and for scrum boards, it is part of the active sprint, with sprint reports able to show the historical sprints)

Second, an issue can NOT have two status.  It has a single status (otherwise status would be complete nonsense and useless to us).  And, the status is also NOT contained by a board, it is something a board uses to map into columns and can be used to filter as well.

So, to do what you need, you will need to adjust the boards so that they include all the relevant issues and take account of all their status.

A very simple example is easier to explain.  Take a (idealised down to a linear) workflow for an issue:

Open -> In Dev -> Developed -> In Test -> Closed

Now imagine two boards, Developer and Tester.  You can imagine the developers care only about the first three status, and Testers the last three.  Now remember that the last column in a board is the important one, as it defines "done".   Finally, I've assumed the simple "to do / in progress / done" columns are how you want your boards

In this case, set up the boards such that

• Developer
    • To do = Open
    • In progress = In Dev
    • Done = Developed, In Test and Done
  • Tester 
    • To do = Developed
    • In progress = In Test
    • Done = Closed

Thanks, @Nic Brough {Adaptavist} , will review this in detail later.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted in Jira

Demo Den Ep. 7: New Jira Cloud Reports

Learn how to use two new reports for next-gen projects in Jira Cloud:  Cumulative flow diagram and Sprint burndown chart. Ivan Teong, Product Manager, Jira Software, demos the Cumulative ...

314 views 1 3
Join discussion

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you