Can Jira create groups of tasks and reuse them?

Michael Arndt
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 25, 2019

So I manage a Human Resource department and every time we hire some we have about 40 tasks that have to get done.Is there anyway to create groups of tasks or reusable story templates?

3 answers

1 vote
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 25, 2019

I do this very thing for our staffing and on boarding. However, you need addons. I use Automation for Jira and Issue Checklist Pro. The way that I have it set up is once the hire is made I automatically create three other tasks one for IT one for HR and one for the hiring manager. Each of these has checklists.

Michael Arndt
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 26, 2019

I'll definitely look into those. Thanks for the tip. Do you by chance use any non Jira software to manage your HR departments? Like BambooHR?

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 26, 2019

I do not. Haven’t heard of BambooHR but will have a look. Ultimately we may get a full HRM e.g. Workday or similar. In which case part of our staffing solution will like move to the HRM.

Like Michael Arndt likes this
Michael Arndt
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 26, 2019

I know BambooHR is highly recommend. We're going to look into it along with a few others. There's a bunch listed under HRIS on Capterra.com.

Michael Arndt
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 28, 2019

I'm playing with Checklist Pro right now which seems to make sense. 

How do you use Automation for Jira with this?

Jack Hunter [HeroCoders]
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
May 29, 2019

Hello @Michael Arndt

Please take a look into the documentation for inspiration on how to integrate the Issue Checklist Pro with Automation for Jira: https://gebsun-support.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/IC/pages/818937870/Automation+for+Jira

Overall, the steps are:

• create an Automation rule that suits your needs (e.g., the recurring issue created every Monday or an issue cloned upon some conditions)
  • make sure that the issue created by Automation gets checklist through "Checklist Content YAML" custom field

You might also be interested in the built-in "default checklist" functionality that allows applying a checklist template to newly created issues. 

If it doesn't answer your question, please ping me here or through the service desk and I will assist.

Thanks,
Jack

Like Michael Arndt likes this
0 votes
Marlene Kegel - codefortynine
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
April 26, 2019

Hi Michael,

You can also use our cloud app Deep Clone for Jira to work with reusable story templates.

In order to make it work you would have to:

• Create the template tickets
  • Once someone is hired you
    • Simply filter for all issues you want to clone
    • And Bulk Clone all tickets at once

It's also possible to Move them directly to other Jira projects while cloning.

0 votes
Wade Tracy _Boise_ ID_
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 25, 2019

You could also try cloning the issue which can clone the sub-tasks, but the @Jack Brickey's approach would be much better if it is an option.  When you clone an issue, all the sub-tasks get CLONE prepended to the name and with 40 tasks, that would be a lot of renaming. 

Suggest an answer