Can Jira be integrated with WorkflowMax?

Sol Girón August 30, 2019

Hi!! My company has been using WorkflowMax to track finances.  We want to start using Jira and Confluence for tracking projects using Scrum. 

Is there a way to integrate both tools?  On a negative answer, is there a Jira App that can be compared to WorkflowMax when it comes to generating invoices, fee per hour on team member, etc.?

Any help or guidance will be appreciated!

Thanks,

Sol

1 answer

0 votes
George Wills
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
September 8, 2019

Hi Sol, 

We have been using both Jira & Workflowmax for the same purposes for the last 4 years. My understanding is that there are no off the shelf native or 3rd party integrations between the two.

We have however successfully integrated the two products using their respective API's. If you have access to a developer and are prepared to invest you may be able to build a custom integration between the two.

Sol Girón September 17, 2019

Hi George! Thanks for replying :) . I have tried a few approaches (like synching a spreadsheet with WFM and having Zapier events taking things to Jira... but it looks dangerous, jeje).  Therefore, we are going to give it a try to your approach. 

One question, do you guys take information from Jira to WFM as well?  I couldn't find a method to put information in tasks within WFM :S It would be nice to learn from your experience! Let me know!

Thanks,

Sol

George Wills
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
September 26, 2019

Hey Sol, 

To simplify the integration we decided to ONLY take information from Jira to WFM. (we never send info from WFM to Jira) 

Our workflow for starting a new project looks like this:
Project Manager / Account Manager creates a project in WFM.
They then create a corresponding Project or Epic in Jira. 
Tasks are typically created in Jira (not WFM) 
They then add a mapping (mapping file) from the Jira project (or Epic) to the WFM project.

WFM becomes our source of truth and we allow people to either log time via Jira or WFM depending on their preference. (not all our people have access to Jira) 

Our integration fires every time a user updates a timelog in Jira.
If the corresponding Jira story/task does not yet exist in WFM then we automatically create a new task in WFM when the first timelog is recorded against it. We append the Jira timelog description into the WFM task description also which has been helpful when creating detailed invoice descriptions. 

Our mapping file also maps Jira users to WFM users so we add that when setting up a new Jira account. 

We also added some logic so that if time was added to a Jira project which happened to not be mapped to any project in WFM then it defaulted to putting it against a project called "Unmapped" in WFM. Because we took this manual mapping approach which was open to human error we found that was a good way to catch the things that inevitably fell through the cracks. 

Two-Way sync would definitely be more elegant but for our needs, we were happy to sacrifice on elegance to keep things simple.

In theory, you should be able to take a similar approach but sync from WFM to Jira only - making Jira your source of truth. But for us it didn't make sense.

Rob_Ruminski
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
June 11, 2020

Hi George,

I'm looking at developing a similar integration for our business. How extensive was the dev on your project? Had your team worked with either API previously or were they coming in cold?

Thanks for any words of advice you might be able to provide.

Tim Hampton
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
December 10, 2020

We have created an internal application we use that integrates Workflowmax Tasks, to Jira components, so when you log time in Jira it sends it to Workflowmax for time tracking.

Like # people like this
Silvia Moya December 10, 2020

Hi Tim! 

Is that application available? 

My organization has the same issue with both tools. We are also looking for any integration or app that can help us to automatically create a ticket in Jira whenever a task is opened in WFM. 

Martin Quinlan
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
November 2, 2021

Does anyone know if a third party API (like Zapier) exists that can integrate Jira and Workflowmax? Unfortunately, there is no integration for WFM in Zapier. Many thanks.

Nick Maxwell
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
November 23, 2022

So my company has just released a product that does exactly this! You can find out more here: Jira & WorkflowMax Connector – Stellarise Connector

Like Geoff Willings likes this

Suggest an answer