Can JIRA generate auto-responses with the issue number in it once your incoming mail is setup?

Jessica_du_Toit April 11, 2017

I have set up an incoming mail address as well as a mail handler that creates bugs for all emails coming into that specific email box.

Is there a way for JIRA to generate an auto response once the bug has been created, that includes the bug number? This would be a great way for our clients to know that a bug had been created and what the bug number is, for tracking purposes. 

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 11, 2017

Yes, with some caveats.

Have a look at the notification scheme for the project.  Towards the top, there's a rule for "Create issue: <who to email>".

If you add "reporter" to the list, then it will start emailing people who report issues with "issue abc-123 created" type mails.

The system does not care how the issues are created - via the UI, REST or email, it just sees "issue created, so send mail to ..."

The caveats:

• Your email handler has to be set up to catch and record the reporter correctly (or possibly assignee if you want an alternate route)
  • People using REST or the UI will get the emails too
  • A user can set their preferences to "not get emails about my own activity".  This will stop the reporter being sent emails on creation because they're the one reporting the issue
Jessica_du_Toit April 11, 2017

Thanks Nic... I think I am in a bit of a sticky situation for the following reasons:

1. The people emailing the email box I have linked to the project are not users

2. Because they are not users, the reported is one specific person

3. I cant make them users as they are clients or ours, not to be given access to our internal system.

SO... with that said, I think what you are proposing probably wont work for my scenario - any other suggestions?

Suggest an answer