Can I write an automation script to clear all instances of a particular label?

Yossi Geretz February 1, 2021

I created a swimlane named DailyReports. I created a label named DailyReport. The filter for the swimlane DailyReports selects all items with the label DailyReport. This pops all of the items we want to discuss in our daily meeting up to one swimlane, making it very easy to see what is on the agenda for discussion.

After we conclude our daily meeting, we want to clear all these labels. Doing this manually and individually is a bit cumbersome. I'd like to use some sort of automation script to remove all of the DailyReport labels.

Is this possible? If so, can you provide some guidance on how to do this?

Thank you!

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Alexis Robert
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 1, 2021

Hi @Yossi Geretz , 

you can create a manual rule with a "Branch rule" to remove the label based on a JQL query : 

Screenshot 2021-02-01 at 21.02.44.png

The action is "Add/Remove values" and choose "Remove" for the DailyReport label.

Let me know if this helps, 

--Alexis

Hi @Alexis Robert ,

Thank you for your reply. Apologies if I'm not seeing something which is right in front of my nose. You say 'you can create a manual rule' but I simply cannot find where I'm supposed to do this from. I'm looking at the documentation on this page:

https://www.atlassian.com/software/jira/guides/expand-jira/automation#creating-a-rule

1. Navigate to your Automation settings and select Create rule in the top-right corner.

Where do I find Automation settings?

I have seen this page:

https://www.atlassian.com/software/jira/features/automation

As you can see, I am logged in to my Atlassian account.

Get Automation.jpg

If I click on the [Get it free] button it prompts me to claim a new Atlassian site.

Claim.jpg

That's not what I want to do at all. I want to use automation with the site I am already using for my HelpDesk and software project management.

BTW, we are paying for the Helpdesk, but so far we are using a free account for our small software development group. Do I need to upgrade to a paid account in order to use automation?

Thank you for your advice!

0 votes

Thanks @Alexis Robert . I finally got this to work.

I was able to find Automation by hitting period (.) and typing 'Automation' into the search box. Now I see where to find this - Project Settings | Automation (both of these from the left menu panel). I have a couple of follow-up questions.

1. I can see how this is triggered when I am inside of an issue. Can this be triggered from any other location outside of any particular issue?
  2. When I trigger this rule from within an issue, I do see the label being cleared from all issues except for the issue from which the rule was triggered.

Thank you for your advice!

Alexis Robert
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 2, 2021

Hi @Yossi Geretz , 

yes you can trigger the rule from anywhere in Jira. When I tried it on my Jira instance, all labels were cleared so it's weird that's not your case. Are you sure the label was exactly the same ? 

Yossi Geretz February 2, 2021

@Alexis Robert How do I trigger the rule from outside of an item card? Here's the only place I can see from where I can run this:

Run Rule.jpg

This is from within any item card. How do I create a menu or shortcut elsewhere in the interface from which I can fire this rule?

Thanks!

Alexis Robert
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 2, 2021

Hi @Yossi Geretz , 

I think this is the only as per the documentation : https://support.atlassian.com/jira-software-cloud/docs/manually-run-a-rule-against-an-issue/

Thanks, 

--Alexis

Mark Chaimungkalanont
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 3, 2021

If you need to run Automation rules against multiple issues that matches a JQL, you can use the JQL Scheduled Trigger and supply the JQL to that rule. You can then remove the labels on all issues that match the JQL.

There's a handy "Run rule" button on the top right of the scheduled rule so you can run it more easily

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events