Can I view the projects a particular user is associated with

Sandra McCartney July 11, 2017

I administer users in Jira. When I have to deactivate a user it would be helpful to be able to see at a glance what projects they have access to. I am new to this role so I'm not sure if it is possible or not.

2 answers

2 votes
Daniel Eads _unmonitored account_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 11, 2017

Hi Sandra,

There are a couple ways of doing this. From the web interface, the quickest is to find the user in the User browser from Administration and select View Project Roles from the action menu:
image.png

This will give you a matrix of all the projects and what roles the user is associated with.

There are of course a couple problems looking at users like this:

1. If you have a lot of roles and/or projects, that page is pretty beefy.
  2. If a previous administrator didn't do their job well and added users directly to schemes instead of using Roles, you won't see what projects that user is on from this screen (for the direct grants).

So, if you're on Server and have access to SQL, you can take this a step further by directly querying your database for any schemes that user has been added to.

Replace the 'username' (at the end of the query) with the username you're looking to find in the following queries.

Notification scheme adds:

select notif_type, notif_parameter, name from notification
join notificationscheme on notification.scheme = notificationscheme.ID
where lower(notif_parameter) = lower('username')

Permission scheme adds:

select perm_parameter, permission_key, name from schemepermissions
join permissionscheme on schemepermissions.scheme = permissionscheme.id
where lower(perm_parameter) = lower('username')

If you by chance had a predecessor who added groups to notification schemes, you can also expand this even a little further to find where notifications might be coming from based on group membership to notification schemes. Note that there are two places in this query where you'd need to drop in the username.

Notification scheme adds, including notification through group memberships:

select notif_type, notif_parameter, name from notification
join notificationscheme on notification.scheme = notificationscheme.ID
where lower(notif_parameter) in (select lower_parent_name from CWD_membership where lower_child_name = 'username')
or lower(notif_parameter) = lower('username')
order by notif_parameter

Hope that helps!

0 votes
Audra July 11, 2017

Hey Sandra,

If you go to Issues > Search for issues, and click Advanced next to the magnifying glass, you can sort issues by a number of criteria (including user).

Suggest an answer