Can I version control a User Story (Issue) in Jira?

I want to be able to apply version control to an issue in JIRA - is that possible?  The business will sign off a version of a user story but this may need to be changed at a future date but we need to retain the original version (signed off by the business).

5 answers

What elements on the issue are you talking about version controlling? The summary and description?

Yes, if possible.

I don't think that's possible and it seems strange you'd want to to be honest. It sounds like you're using the summary and description to keep detailed requirement and specification information given that you want to version control it, which I personally don't think is how it's intended to be used. I would advise using the fields to only give a brief overview of what you're trying to achieve in the user story, not a detailed spec. You can then either link off to a confluence page with the detailed requirements / specifications, which are naturally version controlled (assuming you have confluence), or link / attach detailed documents which you could version control in another document version control solution, or even something like SVN.

JIRA does keep the full history, so you do have older versions available, but there is no versioning control as such, only the date of the change and who modified the fields.

There is an AddOn RMsis that may help you, but it is paid for and may be overkill.

You can capture the signed-off version with the PDF Automation Plugin!

Create the following automation rule:

• trigger: when the issue takes the transition "sign off" (or however you implemented the "sign off" concept),
  • action: run the "Attach PDF Action", create a PDF from the issue's most current state, and attach that to the issue. You could even generate a timestamped name like "STORY-123-20160225-1305.pdf".

From this moment, the issue can be changed any time, the signed off version is there in the PDF document!

See this section to set up the automation rule: http://www.midori-global.com/products/jira-pdf-view-plugin/documentation/automation#attach-by-events

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Sarah Schuster
Posted Jan 29, 2018 in Jira

What are common themes you've seen across successful & failed Jira Software implementations?

Hey everyone! My name is Sarah Schuster, and I'm a Customer Success Manager in Atlassian specializing in Jira Software Cloud. Over the next few weeks I will be posting discussion topics (8 total) to ...

3,316 views 14 20
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot