Can I version control a User Story (Issue) in Jira?

Derek Small July 30, 2015

I want to be able to apply version control to an issue in JIRA - is that possible?  The business will sign off a version of a user story but this may need to be changed at a future date but we need to retain the original version (signed off by the business).

5 answers

0 votes
Midori
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 25, 2016

You can capture the signed-off version with the PDF Automation Plugin!

Create the following automation rule:

• trigger: when the issue takes the transition "sign off" (or however you implemented the "sign off" concept),
  • action: run the "Attach PDF Action", create a PDF from the issue's most current state, and attach that to the issue. You could even generate a timestamped name like "STORY-123-20160225-1305.pdf".

From this moment, the issue can be changed any time, the signed off version is there in the PDF document!

See this section to set up the automation rule: http://www.midori-global.com/products/jira-pdf-view-plugin/documentation/automation#attach-by-events

0 votes
Sten Sundelin
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 30, 2015

JIRA does keep the full history, so you do have older versions available, but there is no versioning control as such, only the date of the change and who modified the fields.

There is an AddOn RMsis that may help you, but it is paid for and may be overkill.

dennis.werner September 9, 2019

WHERE and HOW do we get access to "JIRA does keep the full history"???

This is a simple ask, ala RALLY.  Where who did what to features and user stories from inception to closure.

0 votes
Graeme Mitchell July 30, 2015

I don't think that's possible and it seems strange you'd want to to be honest. It sounds like you're using the summary and description to keep detailed requirement and specification information given that you want to version control it, which I personally don't think is how it's intended to be used. I would advise using the fields to only give a brief overview of what you're trying to achieve in the user story, not a detailed spec. You can then either link off to a confluence page with the detailed requirements / specifications, which are naturally version controlled (assuming you have confluence), or link / attach detailed documents which you could version control in another document version control solution, or even something like SVN.

0 votes
Derek Small July 30, 2015

Yes, if possible.

0 votes
Graeme Mitchell July 30, 2015

What elements on the issue are you talking about version controlling? The summary and description?

Suggest an answer