Can I use one date to update multiple queries

Toby Moore November 19, 2019

Hi all,

Scenario

A confluence page weekly report, this pulls in things like issues created in the last week, issues released, issues moved to UAT using Jira queries.

My question is, is there a way to just save a date range somewhere that will be used for all these queries?

I have tried "AND Filter = 111111" to just have one date query that I can update however the problem is that within filter 111111 I have to put the status transition in there e.g. status changed to "In UAT" during "date, date"

What I really want to be able to do is just save "date, date" somewhere, update that and have it update all my queries.

1 answer

0 votes
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 25, 2019

Hi Toby,

I understand that you're using a number of different JQL queries and are looking for a way to update a number of these queries quickly.  Unfortunately, what I think you are looking for here, the ability to use a variable for specific dates is not possible within Jira natively.

There are a few built in functions to advanced JQL such as startOfWeek() where you can use a query such as:

created >= startOfWeek(-1)

This will show you issues created at the start of last week (hence the -1) until now.  The problem though is that this statement is dynamic, so depending on when you run it could determine different results, (ie running it today vs running it 2 weeks from now will return different results).

Perhaps that approach is not as helpful in your use case.  If that is the case, I'm afraid the only way I think you could do what you wanted to here would be if your JQL queries all had the same field being referenced by your date value.  For example, if you had two queries such as

project = abc AND labels in(test) AND created >= 2019-11-01

project = xyz AND status = "In Progress" AND created >= 2019-11-01

You could simply these with a filter, slightly, and first create a new filter with just

created >= 2019-11-01

If you find the id of that filter, such as 12345 you can then reference in JQL by that filter name or id.   So your two original queries could then become:

project = abc AND labels in(test) AND filter=12345

project = xyz AND status = "In Progress" AND filter=12345

That way anytime you needed to change the filtering query's date, you could do so, and then the next time either of you main searches run that reference that filter=12345 they would return updated results to reflect that.

The problem with this approach is that if your dates are used across multiple date input fields, such as created, resolved, edited, changed, or any other custom date/time field, then you would potentially need a separate filter for each date/time combination that exists for all the date/time fields you reference.

I hope this helps.

Andy

Suggest an answer