Can I use both kinds of boards(Kanban, Scrum).

Afahan Ishtiaq May 4, 2022

I can see the create sprint option if I create a scrum board but not with Kanban. Is it possible to have the option to create a sprint if you select a Kanban board. Is there an option to use both kinds of boards?

We are using company managed project template.

4 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 4, 2022

With Company Managed Projects you can certainly multiple boards. Can you elaborate on what you mean by "...but not with kanban..."? Are you using CMP? Have you tried to create both boards?

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 4, 2022

I don't understand why a scrum board falls short in the visualization for your team. That aside you can certainly create and use the two as you describe.

Thank you so much for the help, I think I have figured it out. Actually I have always worked with the dedicated Jira admins for the previous organizations. Currently I am trying to create a default template/standard work flow for company wide usage.

alexander.baumann December 7, 2022

@Afahan Ishtiaq How did you get this to work: looking to do the same thing.

Afahan Ishtiaq December 7, 2022

You can have both boards on a project.  Only a scrum board can be used with sprints (Add backlog to Sprint).  Really it comes down to how you run your projects, your teams, and the processes you have in place.  You can learn more about Kanban vs Scrum here: https://www.atlassian.com/agile/kanban/kanban-vs-scrum

1 vote
Yeung, Ovey CITZ:EX November 21, 2022

Hello! 

I was wondering if you could share your results? We have a kanban board where an I shaped person would be working off of it. Then we have a team of people working off the scrum board.

The request from leadership is that they can see everything visually and the progress for the work altogether in one place. 

Thank you!

0 votes
Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 4, 2022

@Afahan Ishtiaq You can have both boards on a project.  Only a scrum board can be used with sprints.  Really it comes down to how you run your projects, your teams and the processes you have in place.  You can learn more about Kanban vs Scrum here: https://www.atlassian.com/agile/kanban/kanban-vs-scrum

0 votes
G subramanyam
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 4, 2022

Hi @Afahan Ishtiaq welcome to the Atlassian community.

To answer your query, YES you can use both the boards in a single project.

However, in order to run the Sprint, you should only use the "Scrum board". On the other hand "Kanban board" is only to track the progress or status of the Jira issues and it will have "backlog" section instead of "Active Sprint".

Thanks for the quick response, does that mean with Kanban boards, I do not have the option to create sprints?

I want have sprints to plan the work and use Kanban boards for the team to visualize the work, Is there a difference in workflow.?

Like G subramanyam likes this
G subramanyam
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 5, 2022

Hi @Afahan Ishtiaq I believe you got your query addressed through this post. Kindly go through the link shared by @Brant Schroeder for your reference.

As @Jack Brickey and @Brant Schroeder mentioned, Scrum board is designed to accommodate Agile ways of working with Sprint(s). Having said, in a single project you can also set up both Scrum and Kanban board per your project team requirements.

If this post provided you the answer, please go ahead and "accept the answers", so new members with similar query will find it helpful.

Suggest an answer