Can I use a single file to import backlog items from Rally to Jira while maintiaing the hierarchy?

muneet.bakshi May 27, 2020

For example we have Themes -> Initiatives -> Feature -> Story [Week] -> Child Story -> Task. Will the Jira CSV import mantain the hierarchy?

Also, what is the best way to map the Rally fields to JIRA? I am unable to find standard field definitions for Rally or JIRA. Any direction would be greatly appreciated.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 28, 2020

Hello @muneet.bakshi

Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

Please, allow me to provide you some concepts about Jira application so we can confirm we are on the same page here:

Unfortunately, Jira Application does not have all the levels of hierarchy you mentioned above. Basically, it has only the following levels:

Epics -> Standard issue types (Stories, Tasks, Bugs) -> Sub-tasks

The premium version of Jira and some third-party apps provide you with the ability to create new hierarchies, however, the standard plan of Jira application only supports the three levels mentioned above.

About the extra fields you have from Rally application, you can easily create Jira Custom fields and map the content of the rally fields to them.

To know more details on how you can add hierarchical links between issues (Epics -> Standard issue > Sub-tasks) directly from CSV file and map your CSV fields to Jira custom fields, you can check the documentation below: 

Importing data from CSV 

How to import stories linked to epics in Jira 

Let us know if you have any questions.

muneet.bakshi May 31, 2020

Thanks for the response. 

Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 1, 2020

You are welcome @muneet.bakshi

Have a nice day and please let us know if you have any other questions.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events