Can I transition issues without moving them through a Sprint Board?

Greg Carpenter October 2, 2017

I'm aware of some "heavyweight" answers to my question.  I'm hoping to find a lightweight answer that requires only a single JIRA project.

Many issues make it into a Sprint.  But not all do, even though they are worthy of discussion.  For the latter we want allow detailed discussions with folks who are not part of the development team. And we want to be able to simply transition them to the "Done" state without ever including them in Sprint planning, preferably in a basic issues view.

Apologies if I'm missing something obvious but I don't see a way to do this. I can see the status in the right hand panel but I can't change it by clicking on a pencil icon the way I can other fields.

I realize this is not especially rigorous Agile but we don't need especial rigor for some of our projects.  Some core teams are small and team members wear many hats.  We don't want or need another JIRA project (Software of Service Desk) to carry out and track discussions with folks who aren't part of a development team.

4 answers

0 votes
Greg Carpenter October 4, 2017

First (duh), permissions. I have multiple accounts with different permissions for testing.  I was using the wrong account.  With the correct permissions I see work flow states in the issue dialogue and I just click to change.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 3, 2017

There's no harm in taking an issue from backlog straight to done without going through a sprint.  Think of the cases where you are grooming a backlog and think "hang on, this one is a duplicate/won't do/misunderstanding" - those go to done without any work

The most simple trick would be to have a transition that allows you to go straight to done, either from the beginning of the workflow, or from any point within it.

A second option might be to have a dedicated issue type for these exceptions, then you could have a different workflow for them.  Or, you could put a flag field on the issues to say "this is an exception", and then stop it moving through the workflow by putting conditions on it saying "only if exception flag set/not-set"

0 votes
Cristian Rosas [Tecnofor]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 3, 2017

Hi Greg,

Warren has said almost everything with the information you have provided. 

For an exact answer you would need to describe an exact need, because there are many approaches possible.

0 votes
Warren
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 3, 2017

Hi Greg

You can set up the workflow so that any state can transition to any other state, then you could drag an item from the very left hand column directly to the very right hand column.

But ... that would apply to all issues not just the ones that are your "special cases". If you can live with that, it's a simple solution.

Suggest an answer