Can I split Jira Cloud into separate instances within one company / domain?

David Woods May 22, 2018

We use Jira here, we love it. There's one isolated team (my team) that would like to buy plugins and customize Jira with terrific fancy complexity. There's another much more important team here that doesn't want any of that. I'd like to separate Jira instances so that I can operate independently and so that my plugin cost isn't multiplied across all the users who have no need for it.

Is this possible?

1 answer

0 votes
Davin Studer
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 22, 2018

You would need multiple Jira instances to do what you are wanting.

David Woods May 22, 2018

Thanks David. What I'm asking is: Is it possible to have multiple cloud instances within one company where we all have the same email address domain? Perhaps it's a dumb question and it's easily possible. That would be great. :)

Andrey Dekhtyar _Rozdoum_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
May 22, 2018

You may use same Atlassian id (email) with multiple instances of Jira cloud

Davin Studer
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 23, 2018

Yep, what @Andrey Dekhtyar _Rozdoum_ said. One email address can have access to multiple Jira/Confluence cloud instances.

Peter Thorpe February 9, 2021

Hi Davin, please can you point me at some instructions on how to do this? I can't see any option in my web UI.

Best regards

Peter

Davin Studer
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 10, 2021

What this entails in opening up a second Confluence/Jira cloud instance. That mean you would be paying for multiple instances. It is just a matter of walking through the process of creating a new instance ... you can't do it from within your current instance. You would go to atlassian.com and sign up for a second  instance. However, within one company two have multiple instances seems like a waste of money as you would be paying for both. I would lean toward multiple spaces/projects in your instance that are locked down permission wise as opposed to opening up another instance. Maybe there are good reasons to have two separate environments and I'm just not aware of what they are.

Stefano Coletta May 9, 2022

Yes, there are! Suppose you have a 500 users instance and 10 users out of those 500 need heavy customization with specific apps that are of no interest to the other 490 users. You'll purchase another 10 user instance so that apps installed on the 10 users one will cost vastly less than the same purchased for the main 500 users instance.

Suggest an answer