Can I set a system-wide default user?

George Carvill
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 13, 2014

I am trying to setup a trial UserVoice HelpDesk interface to JIRA using Go2Group's add-on. The documentation states this prereq clearly:

"Make sure "Allow unassigned issues" is switched on in JIRA General Configuration"

That is obviously not acceptable as a global setting. All our JIRA issues have to be assigned to some person. Not doing this results in no sync and errors like the one below in the log:

2014-03-14 14:06:45,872 QuartzScheduler_Worker-0 INFO georgec com.go2group.services.UserVoiceServiceImpl:job [jira.issue.fields.AssigneeSystemField] Validation error: Issues must be assigned

I have default assignees for all the projects. But I was wondering if there was some way to setup a global assignee to see if it would satisfy the requirement. I am very uncomfortable lifting the assignment requirement globally.

The only other idea I can think of is to edit every step of every transition in every workflow to make the assignee required.

I have, of course, contacted the Go2Group support folks, who are researching.

Anyone here have any other ideas?

4 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
George Carvill
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 17, 2014

Apparently I cannot.

0 votes
Bharath Venkatesh January 15, 2015

Get started with the latest version of UserVoice Plugin for JIRA.

0 votes
Ubisoft
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 17, 2014

Hello,

A quick idea would be to add only in your post function of the create issue of all your issue type :

something like this :

import com.atlassian.jira.ComponentManager
import com.atlassian.jira.issue.MutableIssue
import com.atlassian.jira.security.Permissions
import org.apache.log4j.Logger

def log = Logger.getLogger("com.onresolve.jira.groovy.autoassign")
def componentManager = ComponentManager.getInstance()
def currentUser = componentManager.jiraAuthenticationContext?.user
def permissionManager = componentManager.getPermissionManager()

log.debug("Auto assign script for issue " + issue.key)
if (! issue.assigneeId) {
    if (permissionManager.hasPermission(Permissions.ASSIGNABLE_USER, issue, currentUser)) {
        log.debug("Assign to current user " + currentUser.name) //or assign it to you
        issue.assigneeId = currentUser.name
    }
}

So if a issue is auto/unassigned it force assign it to the reporter (or you could force it to you) this would make sure nothing is unassigned.

But our company actually work with unassigned, and we just have JQL tracking the unassigned issues.

Martin

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 13, 2014

There's no way to have a global default user - that's the point of "unassigned" and "single assignee only". A global one would completely defeat the purpose of requiring an assignee - you might as well allow unassigned issues because it will mean exactly the same as "global default" - it's not been assigned to a real individual.

George Carvill
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 13, 2014

Actually, it would not be the same as I see it. I would assign myself as the default user. If something ended up assigned to me, that would get my attention and I would deal with

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 14, 2014

Then how do you distinguish between issues assigned to you, and those that should be assigned to someone else? It's a lot more clear to have unassigned issues and keep an eye on those.

George Carvill
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 16, 2014

I don't distinguish! If they are assigned to me, that means I have to do something about them -- even if that something is to assign them to someone else.

If an issue is assigned to nobody then nobody will do it.

Suggest an answer