Can I reorder Target statuses when moving an issue?

Gergely Groupama May 17, 2022

Hi, All,

I am using the "Move" option often in a JIRA project I recently created, where I need to move issues between issuetypes to utilize the possibility of having different workflows for different issuetypes.

The target statuses in the map status step are displayed in a specific order that I can't figure out. target status order.jpg

Can I somehow change the order in which these appear at this stage?

Thanks in advance,

Greg

1 answer

0 votes
Tuncay Senturk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 17, 2022

Hi @Gergely Groupama 

You can change the order of the status with the workflow properties. 

Have a look at this article:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver/workflow-properties-938847526.html 

There is an advanced workflow configuration section, here is the link

Go to To change the order of transition buttons: and you will see opsbar-sequence usage to sort the statuses within the transition.

Gergely Groupama May 18, 2022

Hey, @Tuncay Senturk ,

Thank you for your answer.

These are not transition buttons but statuses of a workflow.

I tried inserting an opsbar-sequence into the status properties, but - as I expected- it had no effect.

Or did you mean something else?

Tuncay Senturk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 18, 2022

Hi @Gergely Groupama 

Actually, the changing order of the transition buttons should do the trick. Have you clearly followed those steps?

Gergely Groupama May 19, 2022

which steps? :D

I change the opsbar sequence for the transitions so as to have them appear in the desired order. The transitions are indeed reordered on the operations bar in the view screen of the individual JIRA issues.

However, this does not impact the order in which the STATUSES (also called workflow steps for some reason) appear in the dropdown field where I can choose target statuses when moving from one workflow to another.

Thanks in advance for your helop and patience!

Greg

Tuncay Senturk
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 19, 2022

Sorry, now it is clear. For some reason I could not see the image you attached.

I am not sure but have you tried reordering from the Jira admin > Statuses page by simply clicking up and down arrows under the Order column?

Like Gergely Groupama likes this
Gergely Groupama May 19, 2022

Thanks @Tuncay Senturk , I indeed have. Those arrows seem to have an effect only on that particular page in the JIRA admin section.

I originally created a workflow the first step of which (the one after "create") is the first in that target status list, but then ended up adding statuses and in some cases I needed to switch what would be the first status after create.

However, this did not change the target status order, the new statuses were added to the list of options for target status.

I tried associating a new workflow with the issuetype I was moving to and then reassociating the first workflow to try if maybe that would impact the order, but no luck.

There seems to be an order parameter in the statuses associated WITHIN the workflow that reflects how they were added to the workflow when it was built. However, new statuses are added to the end of this ordering and I cannot seems to find out if this parameter is changeable FOR THE SPECIFIC workflow, and if yes, where. 

These workflows were built in our test environment, so if my theory is correct, then building the workflows in the live instance (as we do not have the plugins necessary for moving projects and workflows) should help and give me the ordering I need.

This is not a gigantic issue, but it would reduce the room for error if I could change the ordering.

Like # people like this
Gergely Groupama February 26, 2023

Very short update: Yes, the theory was correct and creating the workflow with adding the statuses in the desired order resulted in the correct sequence.

Arthur Zonnenberg October 11, 2023

I would like to confirm that re-creating the workflow solves this issue, and that this should be simplified:

- drag and drop the default order of statuses should be supported, for both moving to and viewing transition statuses

Moving an issue between projects, or viewing the statuses from an issue, should not be a difficult experience, having to use opsbar-sequence = , or having to re-create the entire workflow from scratch.

In my opinion, JIRA is missing an opportunity for user friendliness here.

Like # people like this
Alex Hall March 7, 2024

I've been testing this extensively as our team had a similar complaint. It's a small but important detail to our existing workflows. What I've learned

• opsbar-sequence works for reordering the Statuses in the Issue Screen only. It has no effects when you're moving issues between projects
  • I tried exporting the workflow, and reordering the items via a text editor. But the Atlassian Marketplace would not accept my .jwb. The error message suggests that it doesn't accept .jwb despite that being the suggested file type in their documentation.
  • Sounds like recreating workflows works. It makes me nervous to be swapping workflows in an active environment that affects thousands of issues. But I shall give it a try. We have a fresh sandbox so it's a good time to test.
Like Gergely Groupama likes this

Suggest an answer