Can I regenerate server.xml file in Jira 7.1.4

Bose Kamineni April 15, 2016

I started Jira and the URL was working as http://<localhost>:8080

I made change to server.xml but forgot to take copy of the original file- change was make the URL work as http://<localhost>:8080/jira

I suppose that I might have done some thing wrong.

When I try to stop JIRA catalina.out had error message-

15-Apr-2016 14:35:19.882 WARNING [main]org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.load Catalina.start using conf/server.xml: Element type "Context" must be followed by either attribute specifications, ">" or "/>".
15-Apr-2016 14:35:19.887 SEVERE [main]org.apache.tomcat.util.digester.Digester.fatalError Parse Fatal Error at line 120 column 33: Element type "Context" must be followed by either attribute specifications, ">" or "/>".
org.xml.sax.SAXParseException; systemId: file:/opt/atlassian/jira/conf/server.xml; lineNumber: 120; columnNumber: 33; Element type "Context" must be followed by either attribute specifications, ">" or "/>".

I reverted back the changes and now the server.xml has

in line 120- 

<Context path=""docBase="${catalina.home}/atlassian-jira" reloadable="false" useHttpOnly="true">

but I am not able to start JIRA

I see the error message in catalina.out  in /opt/atlassian/jira/logs

15-Apr-2016 15:23:29.504 WARNING [main] org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.load Catalina.start using conf/server.xml: Element type "Context" must be f ollowed by either attribute specifications, ">" or "/>".
4263 15-Apr-2016 15:23:29.505 SEVERE [main] org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.start Cannot start server. Server instance is not configured.

Thanks,

Bose Kamineni

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 15, 2016

It's malformed xml, and the error message is pretty much the right answer.  Look carefully at the <Context line - you seem to have closed it with > which means "more detail to come, followed by a </Context> to end it".  Then, I suspect you haven't given it those details or the end tag.  If there is nothing to go into the context, try ending it with /> instead to say "here's all the context information in one line"

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 15, 2016

p.s. un-closed xml elements - bane of my life for months, until I found a decent xml editor that told me where I'd got it wrong.  I hate editing those files - absolute guarantee I won't get them right first time, even after 12 years.

0 votes

Nic,

thank you for all the help.

<Context path="" docBase="${catalina.home}/atlassian-jira" reloadable="false" useHttpOnly="true">

it worked.

Bose Kamineni

0 votes

Nic,

the issue is when I reverted back - deleted the space between """ docbase

after putting the space able to start JIRA and now re-indexing is in progress.

the token should be path='' docbase=".."

<Context path=""docBase="${catalina.home}/atlassian-jira" reloadable="false" useHttpOnly="true">

Thanks,

Bose Kamineni

Suggest an answer