Can I move issues and keep no-longer-allowed assignee/reporter?

Monika Danielsson January 9, 2015

I want to (bulk, but I don't think that matters) move issues from project A to project B. Some of these are really old, and reported by or assigned to people who no longer are valid users of JIRA. However, we really want to keep the history of these issues correct, so we still want to keep the information that user x reported the issue and user y was assigned to it, even though neither x nor y are valid choices if the issue were to be created today. (It may be because x isn't a valid user of Jira, and it may be that y doesn't have privileges for the new project B, but they were both allowed to report or be assigned to the issue when it was being worked on.) 

Is there a way (perhaps involving script runner or other scary things) to do this? (I can, with some caution, do the database magic to perform the move, but I would definitely rather avoid it, since there are some differences between the projects, there are too many things that could go wrong.) Currently, my best option is to do the update, take down the JIRA and update the creator/reporter/assignee in the database, but if there is something safer, I would be happy.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 9, 2015

You can make the users valid in the target project just for the move and take it down after that. Would that work?

Monika Danielsson January 9, 2015

That's a possibility, but I'd rather not. Especially for the no-longer-at-the-company users.

Monika Danielsson January 12, 2015

Then again, since there seems to be no other brilliant solutions, I guess I will have to go for that anyway. Thanks!

Suggest an answer