Can I hide or disable a transition in Jira based on a field having a value?

Gavin Carter November 25, 2014

Hi,

I'm trying to set up a workflow with a "provide estimate" step. This is a simple self-transition from the "open" state right back onto itself. The purpose is simply to provide the user a workflow button that says "Provide Estimate." 

I would like to disable this transition if the user has already provided an estimate when initially creating the task. I can't figure out how to do this. It seems I can use conditions to make the transition button APPEAR if a certain field is filled out. But I can't figure out how to DISABLE the transition if a field is filled out.

Any help would be appreciated! We are using JIRA Cloud btw.

3 answers

1 vote
Udo Brand
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 25, 2014

You can use the value field condition of JIRA Suite Utilities Plugin (preinstalled in JIRA Cloud). Simply add a condition like

The field <Field name> will have to be not equal to value 'NULL'. Compared as String.
0 votes
Gavin Carter November 26, 2014

Thanks Udo. Had to change a little bit around but that gave me the clue I needed - using the value field condition. I also didn't realize that leaving the field blank produces "NULL" in the condition statement. I manually typed NULL into the compare box and spent several confused minutes trying to figure why it wasn't working smile Landed here, thanks again -

The field Estimate will have to be equal to value 'NULL'. Compared as String.
0 votes
Bob Swift OSS (Bob Swift Atlassian Apps)
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 25, 2014

Conditioned validator would be able to check that or more complex conditions. Part of Update on Transition for JIRA. That is only available for server version however.

Suggest an answer