Can I have different screens w/i my project if the project shares a workflow with other projects?

Karri Adkins January 16, 2019

The project I am working with in JIRA must share the baseline common workflow across all projects for my company, however, am I also bound to those screens as well or is there a way to specify a new screen theme for my project specifically that will not impact the workflow and screens used by the other projects?

3 answers

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 16, 2019

You can logically entangle them, accidentally.  The most obvious way to do this is to have a workflow validator that checks a value is filled in a field.  If your new screen scheme does not include that field, the user can't enter it and hence can't progress through the workflow.

But that's probably not going to happen often.

0 votes
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 16, 2019

No. A workflow is comprised of statuses and screens related to the issue type. 

0 votes
Tyler Brown
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 16, 2019

Hey Karri,

Yes, you can change the screens associated with your issues without impacting the workflow.

You may need to be a JIRA administrator to make changes, but this guide should help:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver/associating-a-screen-with-an-issue-operation-938847289.html

Tyler

Karri Adkins March 2, 2023

Thanks, but not sure I was clear.

User case:

Project X > uses X workflow > X screen for X workflow transition

Project B > uses X workflow > B screen for X workflow transition

Same workflow, same issue types, just want diff screens in the same step.  I do not see a way to place a second screen on a workflow transition without copying and supplying a diff named workflow in order to apply a diff screen.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 2, 2023

You need to give them a different workflow (you can only do that by having different issue types)

Suggest an answer