Can I have custom fields at project level?

Hugh Prior
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 2, 2011

Each of our JIRA (version 3.13) projects has a number of custom fields which only apply at Project level (i.e. the Project Manager, Project start/end date, Budget ID etc.).

Currently (as I inherited things) each project has a custom issue-type called "Project Info" with all of these fields defined as custom fields. Then for each project we just create an issue of this type (conventionally the first issue number, e.g. ABCD-1 for project ABCD).

This is clearly a kludge.

Is it possible to define custom fields like this which are only visible at project level? It does not seem to be, but maybe I missed something.

A related isssue is what is the 'Project Information' panel (a documentation link would be nice). For my test project I am told "The 'Project Information' panel is not available."

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 2, 2011

No. See and vote on https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-1991 - some neat suggestions, workarounds and related links are there too, so it's well worth a read.

0 votes
david
Solutions Partner
Solution Partners provide consulting, sales, and technical services on Atlassian products.
June 9, 2016

There is an add-on in the market that cover exactly the need you have: Profields - Custom Fields for Projects

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.deiser.jira.profields/

With Profields you can:

• Create custom fields at project level
  • Execute scripts on the Field Tab
  • Connect to an external DB to retrieve data shown on the fields
  • A powerful project navigator where you can search for projects and fields as the same way you use the JIRA's issue navigator, it even has it's own PQL (Profields Query Language)
  • Java and REST API's that allows you to integrate with anything you want

Cheers, David

Brian W. Bishop October 3, 2017

How is the API coming David?

Coming soon

We are doing the final adjustments to have the best API ever. The documentation will be published the week of 29 Sep 2017

david
Solutions Partner
Solution Partners provide consulting, sales, and technical services on Atlassian products.
October 6, 2017

Hi @Brian W. Bishop, sorry for the delay, finally the Profields' version 5.2.0 contains a Java API. You can find the documentation about it here: http://profields.javadoc.deiser.com/5.2.0/

Cheers,

David

Brian W. Bishop October 6, 2017

Thank you David! Will probably use your plugin in some capacity, if we can reach the field values from groovy. I want to dynamically change workflows/transitions based on project-level specifications.

0 votes
Markus Lepper
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 2, 2011

There are few options, unfortunately not for your (old) Jira version:

You could check the "Jira Workflow Toolbox" plugin (but available for JIRA 3.2 to JIRA 4.3.4):

Quote from plugin-page: " - Check project property: uses the project "Description" to store properties that can be used to customize the workflow behaviour. Project properties are written in project description with this syntax: { property_name = property_value }"

Another option: "Custom Project Properties for JIRA"-Plugin (JIRA 4.0 to JIRA 4.2.4)

Excerpt from doc:

"Now we can:

• define list of custom fields for projects
  • define custom fields per project
  • fill custom fields on project administration page"

=> You might want to consider updating Jira? ;-)

BR, Markus

Brian W. Bishop October 10, 2017

Hi @Markus Lepper

I have embedded a project property and now I am trying to access it via SIL:

string thisProject = project;
JProject thisProjectProperties = admProjectProperties(thisProject);
string libraryProject = thisProjectProperties["library"];

which results in an error:

Structure JProject does not contain field library

{library=BDFLIB} is the Description of the project in question...

Any ideas? Also tried hardcoding the current issue's project key like so

JProject thisProjectProperties = admProjectProperties("BLAH");

Suggest an answer