Can I have a Scrum Board and a Kanban Board open for one project?

John Shinaver November 15, 2017

Hey!

I am working with a new Scrum team to transition from Kanban.

I would like to create a Scrum Board on the existing Project, so that I can wean them off of the Kanban board.

My question:

• Can create a Scrum board, begin creating Sprints, prioritizing and moving stories through Columns on the Active Sprint Board WITHOUT affecting the statuses of the SAME stories on the Kanban board? All within the same Project?

Thanks so much!

Please let me know!

2 answers

2 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 15, 2017

You can have many boards, but the "change on one board" is nonsense.

Boards are a view of a selection of issues.  If you change an issue on a board (or in the Jira core UI, or via REST), then you've changed an issue, and other views are showing that issue, they will, of course, show the changes.

You could do this with columns though.  A column is a grouping of status, so you could do something like

Status1 -> Status2 -> Status3 -> Status4 -> Status5

Board1: has columns, one for each status

Board2: has 3 columns, Status1, Status5 and "2-4". 

Changing the status from 2 to 3 to 4 on Board1 would not move the card on board 2 to another column.

1 vote
Answer accepted
Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 15, 2017

Hello, 

No, you can not do it. Boards do not store issues, they just represent their state. That is why if issue status changed, then it will change on all boards.

John Shinaver November 15, 2017

Ok, sounds good! Makes sense. Thanks for the quick reply!

Suggest an answer