Can I get a velocity report using the kanban method/board?

I have used the velocity report in Agile scrum.  I have recently moved to an area that uses kanban and I don't see the velocity chart.  I understand velocity needs a date range, so I would like story points per week.  I see the control chart and cumulative flow but not the velocity.

2 answers

1 votes

Velocity is calculated based on sprint data such as start and end, what you planned into it and what you managed to complete during the sprint.  Only the "what we did" data is captured in Kanban, so you can't generate a velocity.

Average points solved per week, as you say, is possible, but there's no real reporting on it.  Although I'm sure I saw one in the marketplace that did exactly that a while ago.

Thanks Nic.  Since Kanban does not have a velocity report, how do you estimate when something will be done?  

Depends on how the estimates are done in the team or what the business wants.  Some places ask a developer to fill in an expected date when they move it to "in progress", others for a time based estimate.  Some ask for something like story points.  Most do some form of estimate (even though Kanban isn't really heavily into estimating), but when they start getting demands for fixed timings, multiple estimates and team load, they move to ScrumBan or Scrum.  (If you want to try Scrumban in JIRA, you usually start with a Scrum board and trim stuff off it to simplify it, so that you get the iteration stuff)

@Marty Johnson - I just came to the Atlassian community to ask exactly the question you have asked above. Our Dev team have recently moved from a scrum board to a Kanban board because we're not able to plan in advance to fix our scope for a sprint... Kanban as a concept is working well for us.

BUT - I'm the Product Owner and I want to know when things are going to get done so we still estimate our stories using story points - which I think is fine - I don't see why it should matter whether it's Scrum or Kanban as far as estimating with story points go.

So what I want to know is how many story points do we deliver within x period say every two weeks. As far as I understand that's velocity so I don't quite understand Nic's response where he says you can't generate velocity in a Kanban wall.

So - are you able to give me an update on what you've learnt on this since you made this post? I would have thought that this is VERY common requirement for product owners/Dev teams.

Feel free to also chip-in if I'm missing something @Nic Brough [Adaptavist]

It's the same answer - the velocity calculation is based on "we did x amount of work over period Y".  Kanban does not actively record "period Y".

So you need something to define the period when you are generating a velocity report.

Yep - that's what I need. Any ideas on how I might be able to do that?

I guess I feel like wanting to know velocity, even though operating on a Kanban wall, would be a common need for teams so I'm a bit surprised it doesn't come out of the box or am I fundamentally missing something?...

This is now possible in JIRA Cloud by using the Great Gadgets add-on (https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.stonikbyte.great.gadgets.plugin/cloud/overview). There is a newly added gadget named "Kanban Velocity" that calculates the velocity based on a JIRA issue filter or Kanban board and specific time intervals (instead of sprints).

Read more about the Kanban Velocity gadget here: https://bitbucket.org/StonikByte/great-gadgets-add-on/wiki/Home#!kanban-velocity-gadget

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Sarah Schuster
Posted Jan 29, 2018 in Jira

What are common themes you've seen across successful & failed Jira Software implementations?

Hey everyone! My name is Sarah Schuster, and I'm a Customer Success Manager in Atlassian specializing in Jira Software Cloud. Over the next few weeks I will be posting discussion topics (8 total) to ...

2,811 views 11 18
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot