Can I expect issues with past Jira tickets when I move to GIT?

Cody Christofferson December 4, 2012

I am planning out the move of my company's svn repo to git. One of the issues we have had in the past is that Jira breaks if we open a ticket that had code committed against a tag or branch that no longer exists. With that in mind, what can we expect once I have our repo moved into git? Will we be unable to work with past tickets due to our svn repo no longer being active? Will Jira recognize the new repository when it tries to reference old commits?

I will be pulling over the entire svn history when I do the migration. I just need to know what little creepy crawly nasties I can expect in Jira from the move.

Thanks!

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
aMarcus
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 5, 2012

The JIRA DVCS Connector will find and match issue keys from issue commit messages from your entire history when you set it up. As long as the commit, and its message containing JIRA issue, are still in your repo, then the appropriate issues will show those commits.

Give it a try! Start here for the conversion to be sure you get over any stumbling blocks early.

Cody Christofferson December 5, 2012

Good stuff. Thanks Marcus.

Suggest an answer