Can I display instructions in a text field on workflow transition screens?

Dave Donnelly [Sensata]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 21, 2011

I would like to include instructions for users as to the data they should be inputting on workflow transition screens. I thought the JIRA Toolkit plugin might do this but it seems that it only applies to the issue view and edit screens. Is this possible on workflow transition screens?

Thanks,

Dave

4 answers

1 accepted

10 votes
Answer accepted
Michael Postmann September 21, 2011

As you say there are two types of the "Message custom field" in jira toolkit. One for "View"-Screens and one for "Edit"-Screens.

In this case the Transition-Screen is treated like an "Edit"-Screen. So use the corresponding field and you are all well.

If you still don't see your stuff, try something simple as content so you can check the HTML source of the generated page if the value is present.

About formatting:

When you are in the adminstration section of jira and the index needs to be rebuilt you get this nice looking blue box on top of the page. I took the source of that box and use it to format my hints. E.g:

<div id="adminMessages" class="notify info"><p>Don't forget to set the comment to be readable by developers only!</p></div>

Now it's nicely formatted and matches the theme of jira...

Dave Donnelly [Sensata]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 21, 2011

Legend nomike! That worked like a charm :)

Adam Grace March 13, 2012

Hi, I've entered in two both types of message custom fields, and neither display at any point in my workflow. I can see they're assigned to the correct screens but they just don't appear anywhere.

Any thoughts? I'm running this on Jira 5.0

thanks,

adam

2 votes
Dave Donnelly [Sensata]
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 25, 2014

Solved:

1. Make sure you fill out the Configure -> Edit Default Value and not just the "Description" field for the custom field
  2. Custom field should be of type "Message Custom Field (for edit)" and not "Message Custom Field (for view)"
Simon Victory December 16, 2014

Did you get rid of the comment field? or did you leave it in there?

0 votes
Jordan Koppole September 21, 2011

You can have a seperate help bubble that will pop out a external html file .. May I know the version yo are using

Dave Donnelly [Sensata]
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 21, 2011

Sounds good.

JIRA 4.3.4...

Jennifer Zou December 6, 2016

Hi Jordan,

How to pop out a external html file? I want to do that....but I don't know how

Thank you.

0 votes

You can write the instructions at field level.

In the field configuration for every work flow you will have a field description. You can use that for giving the instructions

JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 21, 2011

You can put html in field descriptions.

Are you sure the "message custom field" from jira toolkit does not show on transition screens?

Dave Donnelly [Sensata]
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 21, 2011

Can you elaborate any on that Jordan?

Cheers,

D

Dave Donnelly [Sensata]
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 21, 2011

Aah - got you :)

Ok that'd work.

The next level would be something that allows me a little formatting...

The next level after that would be HTML, logo etc...

Any ideas?

Dave Donnelly [Sensata]
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 21, 2011

I can't get it to appear Jaime. Either the message version or the velocity HTML version. I can add it to the screen ok - I just can get it to appear... :(

Suggest an answer