Can I disable creating new version by typing "Fix Version" field, but still enable from Releases?

emilyplati April 14, 2021

I noticed that a jira-project-admin can create new versions by "Releases" button or also by typing "Fix Version" or "Affect Version" fields. Instead I'd like to a jira-project-admin able to create new versions only by Releases" button, but not also by typing "Fix Version" or "Affect Version" fields. This to avoid some mistakes during auto-complete fields.

How can I do it? Is it possibile?

I'm a trusted user in Jira, but I'm not Jira admin neither Jira Project admin and now I can create versions only by Releases button, not by typing Fix/Affect version fields. In fact if I type the name of a not present version, Jira show me :"No matches" message.

I would like this option for my collegues but I wouldn't give the trusted role to all our collegues who have only to create versions.

Thanks in advanced.

1 answer

1 vote
Mykenna Cepek
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 14, 2021

Sorry, but Jira Cloud doesn't offer this fine-grained level of control.

However, what I would do in this case is set up notification to watch for when this happens. It's probably rare, but important to catch. An advantage of "seeing it when it happens" is that you'll have a great "user education" opportunity with the person who did it. And you can fix it right away.

Use Jira Automation to set up a new Rule that watches for new versions being created. The Rule can then send you an email or Slack/Teams message to alert you.

The Rule would start out using the "Version Created" trigger. Then use one of the notification actions to alert you. The alert can include the {{version}} Smart Value to indicate the specific Fix Version that was just added.

For bonus points, the Automation Rule could also perform a query to see what issue(s) are using the newly created Fix Version, and alert you to the issue keys. That way you can also track down who made the change, and what issues need to be corrected. Or you can just do those steps manually after being alerted. If you're new to Jira Automation, I'd set up the rule without this first, just to get started.

Hope that helps!

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events