Can I develop my own custom features of Jira?

tomas January 8, 2020

I'm new to Jira and have a question regarding customization capabilities.

For example, I would like to have some simple notification system (similar to Youtube's subscription notifications) whenever a new ticket is assigned to our team's queue or whenever my name is mentioned in any ticket. Currently we get notified via email, but I think it would be more convenient to see notifications on Jira itself.

Other example - I would like Jira ticket to automatically refresh whenever a new comment is added by other user. For example, sometimes I would go through all the comments of a certain ticket, and then maybe write my own and add it to the ticket. However, since a certain amount of time has passed since I have opened this ticket, some other colleague may have opened this ticket as well and maybe already wrote his own comment or even already assigned the ticket to other queue. I think real time refresh feature whenever additional info is added or action is performed on a ticket would be beneficial.

Are my mentioned examples of customization realistic? If yes, what tools and access rights should I need in order to develop my own Jira features. Let's suppose I know Java and JavaScript.

Our company is running Jira server (as opposed to Jira Cloud)

version v7.12.1#712002

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 8, 2020

You need to develop plugins. The problem with plugins is when JIRA comes out with a new release you may need to rewrite it. I've never done it, I suggest you check out https://developer.atlassian.com/server/framework/atlassian-sdk/create-a-helloworld-plugin-project/ 

and search the forum for 'writing plugin' 

Suggest an answer