Can I customize card layout for each issue type on Kanban board?

PM August 15, 2017

JIRA currently let you add three extra fields to show up on Kanban board. Which is global for all issue types in your Kanban board. Is there any work around to customise this for each issue type ?

In my use case. I have Epics, Stories and Sub-tasks in my Kanban board. Ideally I want Custom fields I have created to only appear under Stories and Epics. Not on Sub-tasks. 

The way I went about this was, i created a custom field and add it to Epics, Story fields schema and kept it way from Sub-tasks schema. 

And then add the special custom field to the Kanban board using 'Card Layout' under Configuration. Which automatically add word 'None' to the Sub-tasks cards. Which is not great 

2 answers

2 votes
Elio Wahlen May 9, 2019

I agree with PM. On top, we waste a lot of space with "none" lines. The word gives no valuable information. What about not showing the "None" text / hiding that line if empty?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 9, 2019

Because that's inconsistent and confusing for the people  trying to use the board.  Humans are a lot better at understanding a swathe of data if it is presented to us consistently

Elio Wahlen May 9, 2019

I do not agree that it helps people to read a lot of "none" entries.

But perhaps we don't need to agree...

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 10, 2019

I'm afraid the reality is that humans work better if you present similar things to us in similar ways.  Inconsistency in presentation is proven to confuse us.

Elio Wahlen May 14, 2019

I got your point but that does not help to solve the problem...

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 16, 2017

No, a board is supposed to be a consistent view of a set of cards, so you can't do that.  You can, of course, place fields that only belong to some issue types on cards, but that means an empty space where issues that don't have that field.

I'd question why you have such different fields on a board.

PM August 16, 2017

Thanks for confirming. Its not actually empty space. It adds the word 'None'. Which give the impression data is missing. 

Example scenario is use of Storypoints, I want to have storypoint estimated for epics and stories. And for sub-task I wouldn't want any estimation as sub-tasks. And another example is stories vs bugs. 

And if your kanban board have both of these issues types, you will run in to above problem. Anyways, Jira has very neat filtering mechanism for organsing the board with multiple issue types. 

Suggest an answer