Can I create my own issue type with ONLY custom fields?

Kateryna Holub November 7, 2018

I want my issue type with custom fields (without jira default fields like Summary, etc.)

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Tom Lister
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 7, 2018

HI @Kateryna Holub

There are limited options to work without standard fields as some like Summary are intrinsically mandatory

If you create your own field configuration for your issue type you will be able to hide a number of the other standard fields.

Siva Garjala November 7, 2018

Hi @Tom Lister 

Is it also possible to make fields like "Attachments" a mandatory? Right now, in my project, we see some people filling a bug report without much "Description" no "Attachments" and I want to make it a mandatory to file a bug.

Could you please help if there is a way to do it?

Thanks,

Siva

Tom Lister
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 7, 2018

Hi

You can't make attachments field mandatory in the field configuration.

You could add a workflow condition to check number of attachments > 0

Do you use any add-ons like scriptrunner etc.

Tom Lister
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 7, 2018

e.g.

Scriptrunner standard scripted condition

import com.atlassian.jira.component.ComponentAccessor
ComponentAccessor.attachmentManager.getAttachments(issue).size() >= 1
Siva Garjala November 7, 2018

Hello,

No, we don't use any plug-in's or add-ons. Not sure, we can use some plug-in's for this.

Could you also give an overview on how to make attachments > 0 and also make a fields like "Description" as mandatory to fill?

Thanks.

Tom Lister
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 7, 2018

Hi

take a look at the field configuration options available in your JIRA versions and see what is going to be useful to you in this case

e.g.

Screenshot 2018-11-07 at 10.16.29.png

Also in system with no customisation tools you could set up a transition screen that displays reminders to the user of minimum requirements - will work until they get so used to it they start ignoring it again :=)

1 vote

@Siva Garjala

1. Go to "Jira Settings"

2. Go to "Issues"

3. Go to "Fields Configuration"

4. Click on "Default Fields Configuration" link (or where you want to apply this fields)

5. System opens "View Field Configuration" page

6. In the actions section next to your field choose "required"

0 votes

@Tom Lister

Also could you help me with the next issue:

I want to customize fields for my issue type. For this:

1. I created new issue type

2. Created new field configuration and hide all field that I don't want to see in this issue

3. Created new field configuration scheme and associate it with my issue type

BUT

when I open my issue ticket - I see all fields that I've hidden before

What is the reason?

Tom Lister
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 7, 2018

Hi

Is your field configuration scheme associated with your project?

You can amend the field configuration scheme currently associated with your project and add your issue/field config mapping there.

@Tom ListerWhere I can associate the new field configuration scheme to your project?

Tom Lister
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 7, 2018

Hi

you will need to go to the administration/ projects menu and select your project

there will be a section for the field configuration scheme being used. You can either replace with yours or update current scheme with your new issue mapping.

Suggest an answer