Can I create a default assignee that can be overridden for specific workflow transitions?

Ryan November 7, 2013

In our current workflow, when a bug is transitioned to Claim Fixed status, there is a post function that sets the assignee to the bug reported. As a result, setting the assignee in the transition screen doesn't have an effect. Is there a way to get this functionality without using the project default assignee?

3 answers

1 vote
Bob Swift OSS (Bob Swift Atlassian Apps)
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 8, 2013

You can use the Update issues post function from Conditioned Workflow Functions for JIRA. Condition the update on the assignee not being set and then the update should set the assignee to the reporter. How to condition on a field being blank or empty will help you.

1 vote
Justin Leader
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 7, 2013
I'm unclear as to what you want to happen here. You want to have the bug be assigned to the bug reporter UNLESS the assignee is changed by the user upon transition? I'm also unclear how the default assignee plays into this...
Ryan November 7, 2013

That's pretty much it. The assignee field defaults to Automatic, which gives the default assignee for the project. In the case of claiming an issue to be fixed, I'd want the default assignee to be the bug reporter, unless someone else is specified.

0 votes
rambabu patina
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 7, 2013
Do you want to assign to a particular user while transition? Let me know
rambabu patina
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 8, 2013

Hi Stocks,

You can set the assignee to the bug reporter on trasition using setAssignee(bug reporter id/name) where it is in "unassigned".

Hope this helps you.

Thanks,

Patina

Suggest an answer