Can I convert a Scrum project into a Kanban project?

I started a project as a Scrum project, but the backlog concept is not currently helpful. I would like to change it to a Kanban board so I can use the board to help manage the backlog. Is this possible w/o creating a new project. I already have a good dose of issues and confluence content that I would prefer to not tear up.

1 answer

11 votes

Projects are not really scrum or kanban, they're just projects.  You do use project templates when creating them and hence setting up some defaults, but scrum/kanban doesn't actually apply to the project.

Scrum/Kanban is determined by the board not the project.  You can have a board that draws its issues from any number of projects, and the project "type" is irrelevant.

So, to "convert" a project, just create a new Kanban board and tell it to look at that project.  (You can then bin the old scrum board)

A better way to think about boards is that they serve as a pretty user interface for a project. It's true you'll need to change the board to give it a kanban look and feel, but you'll likely need to change the project's workflow too. For instance, you can eliminate a column on your work board, but you might not be able to progress a story if it's trying to reference a column/state that doesn't exist. Other factors to consider when moving from Scrum to kanban include issue type schemes (i.e. you might not want to use Epics), story point estimation (you might want to uses hours of work), and limiting your work in progress (minimize WIP to push issues through the system).

If I don't like to work with sprints anymore, how would I do that, then?
Thanks! 

Same answer.  Create a board that suits the way you work, remove the ones you don't need.

Is that supposed to mean something intelligible?

In some cultures, hands placed together in what looks like prayer is in fact thanks.  The person making that gesture would also bow slightly.

I'm familiar with that way of conveying thanks, but only in person.  This is one of the reasons I avoid most simplified graphics.  That one looks like a spaceship (and some other things) to me.  It's a stretch to see it as two hands.

@Nic Brough [Adaptavist] - When I go to the project page for my previously-scrum-project I get an "Active sprints" icon among my choices (on the leftmost part of the screen) which I don't get for a started-as-kanban-from-scratch project, so there must be some qualitative difference, or?

Not the way you're suggesting.  There's nothing at a project level that makes it scrum or kanban.  The boards are a view, not a container.

The project pages read data from the database.  In the past, you've put scrum information into the project.  The project page is reading that and displaying it because it's there.

Darn, almost guessed something like that. Oh well, I'll have to learn to live with it, until we migrate to a new project. Thanks for your answer, though!

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Sarah Schuster
Posted Jan 29, 2018 in Jira

What are common themes you've seen across successful & failed Jira Software implementations?

Hey everyone! My name is Sarah Schuster, and I'm a Customer Success Manager in Atlassian specializing in Jira Software Cloud. Over the next few weeks I will be posting discussion topics (8 total) to ...

3,327 views 14 20
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot