Can I configure JIRA to allow time logging only on sub-tasks?

I want to limit time logging to sub-task types in one of my projects.  The story is generally estimated with Story Points and time logging does not have value at that level.  The sub-tasks are estimated in detail to the nearest 1/2 hour and this is where we want the time logging to happen.  Can I disable time logging to all types except the sub-task?

Thanks,

Steve

2 answers

In your workflow for each transition in your parent issue(s), use this transition property key value pair.

Property KeyProperty Value
jira.permission.work.denied 

Sideabar: If you have the Tempo plugin, you can specify this requirement globally.

Thanks for the hints Paul.

I was able to accomplish my goal by having two workflows.  One workflow for issue types where I want time entry and one workflow for issues types where I don't want time entry.   I added jira.permission.work.denied to each step of the "no time entry" workflow as a new Property.  Log Work doesn't even show up.

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Posted Wednesday in Jira

Join our webinar: How 1B+ feature flag events helped us build the new Jira

Every time you release software, there's a bit of risk – that there's a bug, that something breaks, or that the feature doesn't resonate with customers. Feature flagging helps make high stakes s...

111 views 0 3
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you