Can I bulk delete multiple issue types

I accidentally created hundreds of issue types. How can I delete them?

3 answers

This widget could not be displayed.

Check you've got "bulk edit" in the global permissions and check you have "delete issue" permission in the project(s) you want to delete them from.

Run a filter that finds them, and use bulk edit -> delete

Note that a standard recommendation is to not allow delete issue most of the time because it's very hard to recover a deleted issue - use it temporarily to do this!

Thank you, but I need to delete issue Types, not the issues themselves. While doing a CSV import I accidentally created a new issue Type for every field that I imported. Now need to delete them.

Ken

Ah, sorry, I misunderstood. There's no easy way to remove large numbers of issue types. You'll need to go to Admin -> Issues -> Issue types and manually remove each one. If JIRA is currently using it (i.e. you have one or more issues of that type) it will ask you what you want to convert them to. If you're going to get a lot of those, then I'd suggest doing a bulk edit so you don't have to do that migration on every delete.

It's been quite a while so I'm sure you have solved this problem. However for others who might have come across this page looking to solve a similar issue, I would recommend an app called Cleaner for Jira. It works for both Jira Cloud and Server.

The Server version of the app displays a vast number of configuration items (Projects, Custom Fields, Issue Types, Workflows etc.) as well as their usages and you are able to delete them from the page itself. 

Check it out here: https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/co.uk.jackgraves.jira-optimiser/server/overview

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Summit 2018

Meet the community IRL

Atlassian Summit is an excellent opportunity for in-person support, training, and networking.

Learn more
Community showcase
Posted Wednesday in New to Jira

Are you planning to trial, or are currently trialling Jira Software? - We want to talk to you!

Hello! I'm Rayen, a product manager at Atlassian. My team and I are working hard to improve the trial experience for Jira Software Cloud. We are interested in   talking to 20 people planning t...

139 views 2 0
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you