Can I add multiple trigger(manual, issue create) in one automation rule

Masudur Rahman March 23, 2020

Hello,

I have one "Manual Trigger" automation rule. I want to add more trigger such as "issue created", "issue updated", etc as well.

How can I do that?  Currently I'm seeing only one trigger(either manual or issue created and or issue updated etc). But I want both manual trigger and issue created trigger execute this automation rule.

Note - I can copy the rule and change trigger to issue created or updated but in that case every time required changes I'l have to do manually update both the rule(s), I want to avoid that.

multiple-triggerpoint.png

Thanks
Masud

5 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 1, 2020

Hi Masud,

I understand that you're using the Automation for Jira Server plugin to create some rules, and that you want to be able to create a rule that has both multiple triggers and a manual trigger.

This is not something that can currently be done with the Automation for Jira Server add-on in the current versions.  The manual trigger run is not designed to have other possible triggers.  Its intention is to let you choose when to run an automation rule and not to have it be based on a process or workflow step to trigger the rule.  More details on that rule can be found in Manually run a rule against an issue.

I suspect that this is done by design.  In my view the Manual trigger is not technically an issue event in the same way that issue created, issue edited, issue closed, etc are.  That said, I do agree that this would be useful to have. So I created a feature request for this over in JIRAAUTOSERVER-14.

In the meantime, the best I can seem to do is to first create the multiple issue event trigger rule, then copy it, and in the copied one edit the trigger to just be manual.  I know that isn't an ideal workaround as it creates an extra rule to manage, but at least it might help to give you the immediate functionality desired.

I hope this helps.

Andy

Masudur Rahman April 1, 2020

Hi @Andy 

Thanks. 

Martin Cleaver
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 8, 2021

Looks like there is no progress on this, but I concur - I've often wanted this. Managing rules is hard enough without having partial duplicates.

Like Rick Hanton likes this
Puja Verma May 26, 2021

Yes, not able to add multiple triggers is a problem. As a workaround, we did something that may work for you -

• Keep the common logic in one rule which can be triggered through a webhook (using webhook trigger)
  • Then create other rules (as many as the number of triggers needed), all invoking the same rule created in the first step through its URL.
Like # people like this
0 votes
hadesunseenn November 29, 2023

Yep we need to trigger the webhook for comment Add/Edit/update. Now we will have to add 3 different automation

0 votes
Danielle Harder September 25, 2023

+ 1 Would like to have this capability to have more than 1 trigger in a single rule. Would like to automatically duplicate primary task fields in generated sub tasks from a primary task automation that is initiated manually. 

0 votes
Miguel March 15, 2023

+1 This would be amazing to have.

Suggest an answer