Can I Deploy Jira Data Center on Google Cloud Platform?

Rao Pusarapu November 19, 2019

Hi my company is using GCP to host our apps, so I wonder if I can deploy Jira Data Center in GCP. Atlassian documentation says besides on prem the only supported IaaS platforms are AWS and Azure. We don't want to go in the route of on prem and want to do this on GCP.

4 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Hernan Halabi - Elite IT Consulting Group
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 19, 2019

I have deployed Jira in GCP in the past without issues. 

Shouldn't hurt to give it a try from your end

Rao Pusarapu November 20, 2019
  • Thanks for the answer Hernan! Are you saying you were successful deploying jira Data Center in GCP? I know we can do Jira server in GCP, my question is about Data Center. Please clarify.
Hernan Halabi - Elite IT Consulting Group
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 20, 2019

I didn't setup data center, but I don't see why you couldn't. I've run Jira with MSSQL on a version that wasn't supposed to be supported, I have setup Jira on docker when it said it wasn't supported, I wouldn't expect any difference here. In the end Jira runs in Linux or Windows, doesn't care what's running behind that.

0 votes
Mark Seefried January 19, 2024

Rao Pusarapu 

Did you get Data Center working in GCP? We are wanting to use Jira in GCP to pull the GCP Object attribute's the was it is done today with Data Center hosted on-prem.

0 votes
Rafael Corredor July 19, 2021

Hi,

I found this tutorial for JIRA Server: Deploying jira (server) on gcp 

I assume it can work the same for DC in case you only need one node.

Jason Brison July 19, 2021

Our team also used this tutorial to lay the ground work. For Data Center it will get you most of the way. I would suggest Data Center customers with large instances looks into Google Filestore. There are Basic & High Scale SSDs available for shared storage which will allow your instance to maintain performance.

Like Rafael Corredor likes this
0 votes
Richard Cross June 26, 2020

Technically, yes, but be prepared for the following issues/limitations regarding databases...

In general, CloudSQL is "not as feature rich" (to put it kindly) as RDS.

CloudSQL's PostgreSQL implementation only allows creation of databases collation en_US.UTF8 and charset UTF8 via the GCP Console (or Terraform).  This is not supported by Jira Data Center, so you will have to create the database via the command line with the supported options.

CloudSQL's "MySQL 5.7" implementation doesn't seem to work with Jira's MySQL 5.7 connector at all.  I get warnings about SSL, using an unsupported charset/collation (even though I can plainly demonstrate I'm using the right ones).

I haven't yet tried CloudSQL MySQL 5.6 or MSSQL Server.  Ultimately, none of the GCP CloudSQL database implementations are supported by Atlassian, so you would be better running your database on one or more VMs, using the actual supported software.

Jason Brison February 22, 2021

I can confirm as long as you create the databases using the console (not the UI), then you won't have any issues. We saw great improvement switching to Cloud PostgreSQL over on-prem MSSQL; this was for JIRA Server.

Our issue we are experiencing right now for moving to DC is disk related. We are trying to find a solution for the DC requirement of a shared home directory with read/write access.

I believe this is now finally available in GCP, but it's a beta feature: [multi-writer zonal persistent SSD disks|https://cloud.google.com/sdk/gcloud/reference/beta/compute/disks/create#--multi-writer].

I have not tried this feature yet, but will be trying as part of our exploration into JIRA DC.

Suggest an answer