It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Can I Deploy Jira Data Center on Google Cloud Platform? Edited

Hi my company is using GCP to host our apps, so I wonder if I can deploy Jira Data Center in GCP. Atlassian documentation says besides on prem the only supported IaaS platforms are AWS and Azure. We don't want to go in the route of on prem and want to do this on GCP.

2 answers

1 accepted

I have deployed Jira in GCP in the past without issues. 

Shouldn't hurt to give it a try from your end

• Thanks for the answer Hernan! Are you saying you were successful deploying jira Data Center in GCP? I know we can do Jira server in GCP, my question is about Data Center. Please clarify.

I didn't setup data center, but I don't see why you couldn't. I've run Jira with MSSQL on a version that wasn't supposed to be supported, I have setup Jira on docker when it said it wasn't supported, I wouldn't expect any difference here. In the end Jira runs in Linux or Windows, doesn't care what's running behind that.

Technically, yes, but be prepared for the following issues/limitations regarding databases...

In general, CloudSQL is "not as feature rich" (to put it kindly) as RDS.

CloudSQL's PostgreSQL implementation only allows creation of databases collation en_US.UTF8 and charset UTF8 via the GCP Console (or Terraform).  This is not supported by Jira Data Center, so you will have to create the database via the command line with the supported options.

CloudSQL's "MySQL 5.7" implementation doesn't seem to work with Jira's MySQL 5.7 connector at all.  I get warnings about SSL, using an unsupported charset/collation (even though I can plainly demonstrate I'm using the right ones).

I haven't yet tried CloudSQL MySQL 5.6 or MSSQL Server.  Ultimately, none of the GCP CloudSQL database implementations are supported by Atlassian, so you would be better running your database on one or more VMs, using the actual supported software.

Suggest an answer

TAGS

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you