Call external REST API from workflow transition

Daniel Kim March 2, 2017

I have in-house system which needed to be updated according to JIRA issue transit through workflows. 

I've tried below codes with scriptrunner post-function but having no luck. (getting stackoverflow error) 

If I cannot call the external REST services from JIRA, another way is to poll regularly from our in-house system. 

(or JIRA creates JSON file then process it via batch process?) 

Any help will be appreciated. 

import groovy.json.JsonSlurper;
import groovy.json.StreamingJsonBuilder;
import com.atlassian.jira.ComponentManager;
import com.atlassian.jira.issue.CustomFieldManager;
import com.atlassian.jira.issue.fields.CustomField;
import com.atlassian.jira.issue.IssueManager;
import com.atlassian.jira.component.ComponentAccessor;
import com.atlassian.jira.issue.Issue;
import org.apache.commons.codec.binary.Base64;

CustomFieldManager customFieldManager = ComponentAccessor.getCustomFieldManager();
def issue = issue as Issue
def issueStatus = issue.status;
// find custom fields
def cf2 = customFieldManager.getCustomFieldObjects(issue).find {it.name == 'Original Call Log ID'};
def issueCalllog = issue.getCustomFieldValue(cf2);

def body_req = [
    "record.char_20": issueStatus,
    "record.char_21": issueCalllog
]

def baseURL = "http://rd0013:daniel12@192.168.170.179/IBSDevREST/rest/resources/MAIN/GE/LOG/record/17020013";
URL url;

url = new URL(baseURL);

URLConnection connection = url.openConnection();
/*connection.requestMethod = "POST" */
connection.doOutput = true 
connection.setRequestProperty("Content-Type", "application/json;charset=UTF-8")
connection.outputStream.withWriter("UTF-8") { new StreamingJsonBuilder(it, body_req) }
connection.connect();

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Niclas Sandstroem
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 2, 2017

Hi I would not recommend to go down this part. Look at setting up a JIRA webhook instead that send POST to your in-house system and do GET on what you need from JIRA when this occur.

Good luck!

Daniel Kim March 5, 2017

thanks for advice.

trialled PoC on this approach and seems to be working.

Niclas Sandstroem
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 5, 2017

Your welcome! Happy to share insights smile

vaishal June 9, 2017

Hi Niclas,

My task is like create Index on Elasticsearch whenever Ticket is created in Jira.

To create Index in Elasticsearch we need to pass some JSON which contains static JSON. but not related to JIRA ticket.

Is Weebhook pass JSON for me?

Niclas Sandstroem
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 9, 2017

You can't get JIRA to send a custom JSON so this is not possible. You can track https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRASERVER-63205

You could see if any plugin enables this or just let middleware receive the push from JIRA and let that do what you need in Elasticsearch.

Good luck!

vaishal June 9, 2017

Thanks Niclas for quick reply

Can i post custom JSON data from groovy script written in post function?

Niclas Sandstroem
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 11, 2017

vaishal please check Thanos answer below...

0 votes
Thanos Batagiannis _Adaptavist_
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 3, 2017

Hi Daniel,

I suppose you can try to use the groovyx.net.http.RESTClient. Have a look at Jamie's asnswer

https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/33129265

The above example makes a call to an external JIRA instance, but you can modify it. Hope that helps.

regards, Thanos

Suggest an answer