Calculate the time spent by team on a issue

Aman Jain November 19, 2019

Dear Community Members.

I am new to Jira and looking to implement a functionality to calculate the time spent by a Team on a particular issue.

Suppose there are two teams working on the Defect.

1) A new defect is initially assigned to Team A. 

2) Team A checks if the issue is related to them or else they Transfer the issue to another team B.

3) Team B works on the issue for a certain amount of time and may transfer it back to the Team A or can resolve the defect on their own depending on the findings.

I need to calculate the time spent By Team A and Team B on a certain defect.

We are not using Subtasks.

Can you please help me out. 

PS: I am not looking for complete solution. A heads up will do! :)

Thanks in advance,

2 answers

1 vote
Jakub Sławiński
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 5, 2019

Hi @Aman Jain ,

if you are tracking your time by simply logging worklogs and your teams are separate (i.e. there is no one that is a part of Team A and Team B), then you have everything in place.

You can for example visualize that data using the standard Workload Pie Chart gadget. Another option is to use one of the many worklogs plugins. You can check them on the marketplace: https://marketplace.atlassian.com/search?query=worklogs

0 votes
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 21, 2019

Hello Aman,

Welcome to Atlassian Community!

Per your description, I understand that you would like to easily identify the amount of logged hours of a specific team since they do different types of work on the same issue. Is that correct?

Unfortunately, Jira does not have that functionality implemented, however, we clearly understand how it would be useful for some cases.

That being said, we created the following feature request to get this functionality implemented:

Add type of work in Log work 

Feel free to vote and watch the suggestion to increase its priority and also receive notifications about any updates.

For now, I can suggest two possible ways to achieve this functionality:

1 - Use Sub-tasks to define the slices of work for each team, optionally summing their amount of work to the parent task. By doing that, you will be able to have a clear view of how much time each team spent on the task.

2 - Use one of the plugins suggested in the feature request.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Aman Jain November 21, 2019

Hello Petter,

Thanks for your response. Is there any way where we can implement the custom field and capture the information in those fields to calculate the age.

Thanks

Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 22, 2019

Hello Aman,

To calculate the age of an issue and have an easy display in a custom field in JIRA, you can use the Scripted fields provided by Scriptrunner plugin:

Scripted Fields 

Basically, that field can be added with values from multiple fields and display a final calculation, like "current date - Created date".

Let me know if this is what you are looking for.

Suggest an answer